Working with colts is so rewarding but at the same time- it is... work. Some days they are so good, you think everything is going to be easy with them. Case in point... trimming his feet. He did so well the day before, that when I worked with him the next day, I figured I would try my nippers on his toes. Sure enough, he didn't mind, so when Shayla came later in the day, he got his first trim.
He was a very good boy! We gave him lots of lovin' and he was lapping it up.
Well, next day, as can happen with colts, it was a step back. A simple leading lesson turned into a lot of work. He started out ok, but then sulled up and basically said, "Nuh-uh, I ain't movin' my feet".

Oh yeah? Well then...
The rope around the rump trick got him moving again, but he kept resisting with just leading without it. So next step was the rope around the hip-turn and face- step forward routine, which he does quite well, except for that "forward " part...
Which earned him more pressure than we have yet had to apply to him. And I don't mean pulling on him. What I did was offer him to lead and walk with me, and when he refused, I shortened up the lead rope and turned his head towards me and stepped actively towards his hip, close in, so that he had to move that hip out of my way, and if he didn't move I bumped him with my knee or hip. After a bunch of that, I would offer him the soft feel again of just leading quietly behind me... rinse and repeat... it took several sessions of him having to work at moving his hip before he quietly followed on a loose lead.
I actually wasn't surprised and was happy that we had this session, because with those quiet colts that seem so easy, if you don't test them and they don't test you, it might happen when you aren't prepared for it and then things can go south. This session established some ground rules for him, namely that we humans do have leadership over him; and that he can do what is being asked of him ( and we are always sure that it's within reason for his age and training level) or he can work , his choice.
I'm actually curious to see what he is like today; when I took the halter off him yesterday he just stood there for a bit, licking and chewing.
3 comments:
Oh, how funny! Have to say, I'm glad he finally "acted up." Although, it is a small thin, and he was guaranteed to lose that little fight! LOL. You can see the little stinker in him in his eyes in that photo. Love it! So, Tumbleweed did that at the bridge yesterday. You could see the pride in his eyes when he first realized it was working for him. :) When I found a way around the evasion, he was pissed!
What a good boy Drifter is with his feet.
funny how they can be so good then the next day it is brand new info! I love working with the young ones, for the good days and the challenging ones. He is starting to think for himself maybe?
I bet the day that follows this worthy lesson that sunk in, Drifter will lead like a golden boy.
Post a Comment