The other day (ride 88) I had a really nice ride on Gussie, and coming home I had someone waiting for me, so I took the shortcut across the neighbour's yard, which gave me the opportunity to take Gussie across the bridge the guys built earlier in the year. It's 4 ft wide and about 6 or 7 ft. long, very sturdy, it goes across the seasonal creek that flows through our yards.
Well now.....
Gussie was having none of that!!!!
A few years ago I had tried her on a teeter totter bridge for cowboy challenge and she hated it- it MOVED!!!! Very very scary! So this was the first time I had asked her to try a bridge since then- apparently she has an excellent memory.
I dismounted, and with much coaxing , she went across.... all in a rush and I had to get the heck out of the way in a hurry. I took her back across, again, she rushed, very anxious about it. After that, she.was.done. No more going across, thank you very much.
So yesterday, I did a really nice bareback ride on her. Originally I planned to try loping bareback as I have been really enjoying her rocking horse lope, but I decided to start with the ... big scary bridge!
Well....
No problem, I got this!
After that, we went down to have a second look at the Christmas tree I have picked out.
Yup I think it will do just fine! The plan is to go get it tomorrow.
We continued our ride, looking at the ice beginning to form on the river.
Then we came to Gussie's other nemesis, the dreaded concrete blocks.
Well... maybe not so dreaded now, but worthy of a bit of cautious side eye!
I was so happy with her!
Riding day 89


4 comments:
Buuut. that's such a tiny little bridge :D She sure is a sweetie!
Isn’t that amazing? She has grown past her fears and became a “broke” horse. Sometimes, it just takes that lightbulb going off. I saw a picture on Facebook with a man carrying a Christmas tree from his horse. That will be you soon.
Now that would be cool, a photo of it too :D Gussie packing a Christmas tree would be super cute! a little sled, or whatever, and tree tucked onto it :D
Way to go Gussie, if only we could all conquer our fears so easily:)
Post a Comment