Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Spring training



ENTER THE FOALING CONTEST BY CLICKING ON THIS LINK


Spring starts tomorrow! Yippee! The snow is melting, the river is rising, the songbirds are back for their early morning serenade....  
I decided it's time for Tay to learn to be a trail riding companion. She has really progressed over the winter in her bidability; easier to call off when she is doing something I don't want her to. So I took Gussie and Tay and went for a river ride.

 

The trick with Tay is to have a command that sends her out front, as when she is behind a horse the temptation to go for the tail or the heels is probably still strong. She actually did really well.

Image may contain: tree, snow, horse, outdoor and nature

The water is rising and getting muddy now that the warmer days are here.It was wonderful to just sit on my horse, listen to the river run, my dog just sitting there waiting for my next move- and even a hawk in the tree that flew away once we invaded it's space. Can you see it in the next video?


Another lovely day today and another river ride coming up- but this time it will be me on Gussie and Shayla on Ice for Ice's first trail ride, and we will be going down the gravel road to the river down where I used to live. I wonder if Gussie will remember it, last time she was down there was 2013.

Riding day 23

2 comments:

Linda said...

I saw that ride on Facebook today, and it looked lovely. Spring has sprung here, too. I can't wait for the snow to melt out of my arena!! I was able to walk Tweed around in it today and go over the bridge, but that's about it. He wants me to let him to go to run, but too many obstacles are still covered, and they could present a hazard, so I'm relegated to working with him on the gravel driveway--which is NOT ideal. Soon.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Tay looks happy to have a run around with you! :)