We took a little road trip today. Ted had to go to Nelson for a doctor appointment and I went along for the ride.
It was a trip down memory lane, as the route home we took was through an area that I grew up in. I took the opportunity to check out a place we used to live. Originally it was an old log house, with no power although it did have running water. Gravity fed, I believe.
This photo was taken 25 years ago....
That upstairs window was the girls bedroom, our parents and the boys had the bedroom on the other side of the upstairs.
Sadly, the old house has disappeared and now there are 3 or 4 modern homes in its place.
Just up the hill a few feet from there, the old barn was still... just barely... standing.
So sad to see it surrounded by junk and slowly sinking into oblivion.
So many memories of playing in the hayloft, of pretending the lower part was a tack room filled with fancy gear for the horse of my dreams, for dreams were all I had at the time.
We lived there when I was 10 to 13 yrs. old. I remember braiding a halter out of baling twine and stealing a ride on the neighbours horse, and even though one time the mare dumped me and knocked me out it never stopped me from wanting my own horse. It took me another 12 years to fulfill that dream.
I remember days filled with drawing horses, of reading all the horse books I could get my hands on, even trying to write a book about a girl and her horses. That love for horses never left me and it still is the main focus of my life. I still draw horses, I still make halters, and I still fall off horses and get back on again!
If you have a young girl in your life who is horse crazy, encourage her dreams, for good things will come of it.

9 comments:
Thanks for taking me down memory lane!! We also reminisce about days gone by, when life was much simpler. Tugs at your heartstrings. Curious, is that you in the house photo? Love hearing about your horse dreams as a little girl, and how they came/hold true!! Great last photo of a beautiful weathered barn! At night, when the wind blows just right - I bet it talks, so to speak.
Yes, that is Ted and I peering into the old house. The lady who built right next to it owned it and kindly took that photo for us.
I love old barns and old houses, the life stories they hold within their walls stir the imagination.
What a trip down memory lane, nothing ever stays the same except our memories of certain places. I did all things horse too and supported my oldest daughters dreams of horses...she had more fun than I did! I had a cranky old mare that hated me growing up...if only I had a horse meant for a young person or a mentor! I went back to riding the neighbor mans horses...they were gentler and didn't bite. My sister has the horse of her dreams now they are doing some obstacle work and trail riding...it is fun to watch her! She has a good job and has her horse in a stable with an arena to ride all winter.
Our middle granddaughter has always wanted horses some day maybe her dream will come true. Now she has children!
Wow, that is you and Ted?!! What a treasure to have a photo of your childhood home, with both of you in looking through the windows into the past!!!
What a great house to have lived in. It's a shame the barn is falling into disrepair but you still have your childhood memories of when it was perfect for you. Thanks for helping us all remember childhood dreams.
Unfortunately, even though I always wanted a horse and to ride I never got a chance as a kid. There just wasn't the money for extras like that. I never lost the love of horses and now am living my dream many years later. My two daughters rode but only one had the absolute crazy passion for them. She went so far as to have a headband with "ears" on it a fake bit in her mouth and she used to have jumps set up in the backyard that she and the dogs would go over. Broke her ankle once. She lives on the farm now and takes care of all the horses and still rides, she's in her 40's! So I encouraged her and her dreams did come true along with mine.
Great post and a delightful reminder for kindred souls. Used to steal rides on the neighbor's nasty little pony stallion. No bridle or reins, although he was tethered on a long rope to graze. Learned really quickly how to escape those awful teeth.
I love seeing where you grew up. It’s like something from a book. I can imagine how tempting it must have been to dream of horses and then have some right there! You were brave to ride one. I wonder if that mare had even yet been trained.
Similar to you, I had no horses and was an adult before I was fortunate enough to have one (well 18) but as a kid I "played horse" in so many different ways and read every book I could get my hands on!
where was that?
Post a Comment