Friday, June 11, 2021

Derby update

I don't have any new photos of Derby, but this one is one of my favourites.


Derby has been sold! He will go to Step In Time Performance Horses in Neilburg Saskatchewan. He will stay with Shayla until weaning time and then go to his new owner in September. He will be raised up as a stallion prospect for them- this is the third son of Belle slated to be used as a stallion, the other two being Moondance and a bay  colt sired by a full brother to Playgun that was born in Alberta when she was owned by Fleetwood Farms for a few years before I bought her back. 
I am super proud of Belle for the quality of foals that she consistently puts on the ground. We are waiting for confirmation by ultrasound of her next foal, who is sired by Root Beers Boots. Should have the results in a few days. 
Gussie will be headed to the same Stallion Station where Belle is, to be flushed and then bred to A Classic Guy  
Both those links have videos of the stallion at the bottom of the page, they are worth watching.

Not to be left out of mention- I am also super proud of Beamer for consistently throwing gorgeous babies! Update on Eli-  Last year I had a local farrier come and trim Moondance, and he loved him. Well, my friend who bought Eli decided that he was too darn big for her and sold him to that farrier. This guy is the one who I used as a farrier from the time I moved here 12 years ago until I started trimming my own horses, and he is familiar with Beamer and my mares, so I was pretty happy that a guy who sees hundreds of horses thought enough of my horses to want to own one. 

7 comments:

threecollie said...

What an intelligent and lively face! Lovely baby

Far Side of Fifty said...

How wonderful that Eli is going to a nice man! That Derby will be a real looker! Hope you get to keep tabs on him! :)

aurora said...

Wow, big multi horse update with good news all around! I was wondering what was going on with Derby. You seem to have a knack for connecting with good people. Those are two nice looking studs. Had to look up flushing. Interesting. Is that common? I've never heard of it being done around here.

Shirley said...

Aurora- flushing is quite common for any mare who is suspected of a uterine infection. Some places who do live cover will recommend it if the mare is in any way suspected of an infection, as the stallion can carry the infection to the next mare unless he is *ahem* washed between breedings.

aurora said...

I don't know much about breeding, but have heard of mares getting "cleaned out" for various reasons. Not sure if they call it flushing here, probably. When I googled "flushing a mare" it came up as Embryo Transfer. No doubt ET is done under certain circumstances.

cdncowgirl said...

Congrats! That does say a lot for your breeding program :)
And the Sandy Ridge Stallions, they stand really nice studs.

Shirley said...

Aurora yes not to be confused with flushing an embryo! Basically the mare's uterus is drenched with a saline solution to flush out any infection, rather like candida in women.