Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Everything is going according to plan

One of the reasons I halter train my foals early is to make them easy to handle when it's time for mama to be bred again. We have started teasing Jayne in anticipation of her coming into heat in the next few days. I like to get her used to the idea that the stallion may be in the same vicinity as her precious baby 😀
We catch Dally and Jayne and lead them into the foaling pen. Dally is leading like a champ now! Then I take Dally's halter off and let her loose while Ted holds Jayne and I get Beamer and bring him over to the panel fence to talk to Jayne. He's pretty loud! Once she shows signs of being in heat we'll get our friend Dave to come and hold baby down in the corner by the shelter while we tease mama in the top corner of the pen.
I finally got some action photos of her; not easy because she doesn't zip around as much as the boys do- I gotta be quick with the camera!



She sure has powerful hind quarters! She is really filling out now.

Cute as a bugs ear!

I got some good news today- she is 5 panel negative! For those of you who don't know what that means - it is a dna test I get done on all Beamer's foals to check for a  hereditary disease, and she doesn't have any. It is required for stallions to be tested but not many people test their mares. 

The princess

7 comments:

Linda said...

That’s great news about her negative panel. And she’s looking really good. Very smart to halter train early. There’s so many good reasons for that. One, I’m learning now, is the occasional trip to the vet and medicine application. We haven’t halter trained Epona yet. We’ve been introducing her to it though.

aurora said...

Wow, she looks great Shirley! The Princess Dally shot is so sweet!!

Grey Horse Matters said...

The Princess is just as cute as she can be. Love her photos,she really is filling out. Halter trading early seems to come in handy.

M said...

such a cute princess!

M said...

how's derby?

TeresaA said...

It’s such a good idea to teach them early. Dally is looking great.

Far Side of Fifty said...

The Princess Dally is so cute!