Over the years I have mentioned swirls a lot and my readers have had questions about them.
Here is a great resource for learning about why they are important and what they can tell you about your horse's personality.
Sophie has a nicely centered, feathered swirl. That should mean that she is people friendly, so far that seems true although she is sometimes standoffish. That could speak to her past history though, and I think as time goes by I will find out more about her. I am hoping that she is mostly laid back, as her swirl indicates.

7 comments:
neat!!!!
I believe in swirls. Linda Tellington Jones has an excellent resource for reading that and other physical cues about a horse’s personality. My trainer, Sarah, was the first person to tell us about them, and she has trained many horses for many years and found it to be accurate. That is a lovely swirl!
Interesting. Now I have to go out and look at Rosie's swirl. Sophie seems like her personality is just as her swirl says. Thanks for the info.
I have Linda's book too. Love it! Still laughing about the horse I bought from over east of Oz from photos, and when he arrived he had the most unusual personality and we instantly did not like each other (very bad personality clash indeed!) and he had swirls all over him, like dozens and in weird places. He went on to a very good liberty and trick trainer who loves his quirky and unusual personality!
The one horse I got who really wasn't a people person was a mare who had been a polocrosse horse for many years. She was very standoffishh, but truly had the kindest head I've ever seen on a horse. (Got Linda's book out to prove it. :D) What brought her around was to go out every day and just hang with her and give her scritchies on all her good spots. In no time she'd whinny and run to me across the paddock. Gosh I loved that mare. She stayed with me til the end, unlike Mr multi-swirl the bossy-ass. :D
TL- I think that's where I'm at with Sophie. She likes the attention but is a little jumpy about it at this time; I think spending a lot of time just hanging out with her will bring her around. All this attention stuff is new to her. Like your polocrosse mare she was probably only worked and not loved on.
Looking at that 2nd pic with the horse dentist, I love her expression there. She wants to be a good girl and she really wants to connect. Fingers crossed you are it for each other. :)
Swirls are so interesting! I have never taken the time to learn in depth about the patterns and what they are associated with. I remember looking into/at Koda & Nemo's when we got them as yearlings. What I found out seemed to fit them. Thanks for sharing your swirly resource! I downloaded to finish reading.
Post a Comment