Day 2 we switched saddles to my little saddle as it's the only one I have that the stirrups will fit Shayla- the other 2 saddles it's very difficult to shorten the stirrups much.
Everything was a review of the first lesson, with Sophie showing some improvement on not changing directions unless asked, and a better back up.
She was also softer with her whoa and face up.
So my program definitely will have to be consistent in getting her to figure out how to find the softness, whether it's bitting her up on the ground, or to my hands when riding.
The other thing we figured, is that so far I have been "sneaking" rides on her. Which basically means that I have just been riding without pressuring her to do anything out of her comfort zone, just getting along with her and she calls the shots. I do know better! But riding by myself on a horse I don't really know was testing the limits of my old lady bravery. So it was awesome to have Shayla work her, because now we know the limits and boundaries Sophie has set and have a plan on how to get her past them.
3 comments:
I totally get why you have been backing off on the pressure. Knowing better covers also knowing we don't bounce like we used to
Going slow makes a lot of sense. You are establishing trust. Now that you have a plan it will help.
Sneaking rides. Well put. We all know when we’re doing that.
Post a Comment