The to do list, that is- as well as the days.
The mares are moved to their next pen, the biggest one so far. They seem to get along well now. Sophie is the boss and Velvet is respectful of her- I really like Velvet, she's the kind of horse I want in my herd.
We redid fences for Beamer. On one side of "his" barn we fenced across so he has his own grass pen, then we tore out all the existing fence in front of the barn and removed the bathtub that was supposed to be a water trough- it will be repurposed as part of my future raised bed garden- and utilizing material that came with the farm, we doubled the size of his pen. Big heavy 14 ft. panels of 2 inch pipe, and posts that came with the place. It sure was nice to have that big tractor for placing the panels!
Dilapidated fence gone, photo bomb by Foose.
New bigger pen, the green area is the new part and although it doesn't look it, it's 20 ft. wide. Beamer is quite content in his pen, no more pacing and stressing about the mares. I think he is quite cured of wanting to live with them! As long as he knows they are nearby he's happy. He sure lost a lot of weight though with that episode. It's always tough to put weight back on an older horse, but he's slowly gaining it back.
I finally figured out a place for my hammock- it's been a couple of years since I have had a place for it. It fits perfectly in the gazebo that overlooks the river.
Can't complain about the view! I watched the young eagle flying around as I was laying in the hammock, it's a bald eagle. We have plenty of birds here; Foose was stalking something he could see at the edge of the lawn at the base of a spruce tree, and to our surprise he flushed a great horned owl. It flew up into a tree- sure glad he didn't go after Foose.
This morning, we had hot air balloons floating by. The air must have been too cold for them, because 2 of them were rapidly losing altitude, we thought they would land in our pasture but they made it just past.
Their descent was pretty slow, so I think they were all okay. Not something we expected to see at 8 am on a Sunday morning! Must be part of the Labor Day weekend celebrations somewhere. The mares were quite interested, not too spooked, but they did lope around their pen and stare.
Next weekend should be fun, I'm meeting up with some old friends and going to Spruce Meadows on Saturday; we will get to see the Nations Cup. It has been many years since I have been there!






5 comments:
Great spot for a hammock. Sounds like you are getting all settled in and enjoying the closer proximity to friends/events.
Hot Air Balloons are huge & their air release is very loud!! We had a balloon emergency land in our yard at our old place. Dogs went completely nuts. It dwarfed our house. Ground crew that follows balloons asked for permission last minute. Like we had a choice. They were incoming regardless of what we said lol. Of course we said yes, it was an interesting experience. A second balloon landed in the field right behind our house.
Holy cow. If a hot air balloon landed in our pasture our horses would be through the fence and gone. Good thing it landed further away.
That hammock location is dreamy. It couldn’t be more perfect. The river right there is really something.
Does the barn have any kind of heat? Wood stove, or anything else? Does it have stalls inside?
Linda- no the barn doesn't have heat. It was built in 1950. It has stalls, but not designed for horses as it was meant for cattle and later, sheep. Once I get it organized I will show the interior.
You have a pretty view from your hammock! You are making progress making it a great place for the horses!
I love the new pen, it looks nice and solid.
The idea of the old tub for a raised flower bed is pretty cool. And what a place for your hammock.
What a beautiful place.
Post a Comment