Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Supermoon

 The Sturgeon Moon was all orange last night. I really need to use my tripod next time I try for a moon shot! 


It lay low on the horizon as I took this shot around 10:30 pm, and by 2 am on my foal check it was gone below the horizon. I may try again tonight - with tripod all set up in advance!

I think Gussie is about a week away from foaling. She is pretty quiet, and not at all concerned about the other mares when I turn her out next to them. 

Did a session on Ruby today and she was nicely improved. Like Shayla said, she's trainable 😊

I think most of my time with her will be in the fall when it's cooler out. This has been a summer of heat waves, humidity and thunderstorms. And as I get older I get choosey about where and when I ride! Age has its privileges.  I do want to go to the indoor arena, but we have had a lot of extra expenses this year that we won't be clear of until September. Including hay which is getting pricey! We are fortunate to have found a supplier close enough. The hay I bought last year isn't available this year; he said the field didn't produce enough to cut so he's grazing his cattle on it. The hay I did buy isn't as nice but it will do just fine. It's a bit coarser that they are used to. 


The doe with the twin fawns is appearing more often. 


Airborne! Love seeing them sproinging. Other wildlife spottings lately are a whitetail buck and a badger. Fortunately it isn't a resident badger. It must have been on its way through for some reason as there are no badger holes here. Have also seen Humphrey crossing the lawn half way up the driveway and one of the racoons crossing in the same spot. Must be a game trail. 
The waxwings are back too, catching bugs over the river. 


5 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Getting hay will be dicey in our area also. I was lucky enough to get it from our regular guy to be delivered later.

You will have two chances at a full moon in August!

Linda said...

Great shot! I’m picky about where and when I ride, too. With age comes wisdom! Such sweet fawns.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

it sure has been a ride for temps this summer! flooded basement and t storms galore, we got 4 inches in less than 4 hours last week

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hope you won't be feeding a deer herd all winter too! Glad you got your hay. I am not sure there will be a second cutting around here they may have to cut around swamps this year too....it is very dry here.
Our coons have moved to the corn fields a mile away:)

threecollie said...

We have had a weird summer weather-wise as well and hay is hard to find. Love the color of that moon!