I'm pretty happy with Theo's willingness to learn. He is still his own boss outside but in the barn, he's a pretty cool little dude- and that's my nickname for him at the moment, Little Dude.
I also love that the mares come when called, hopefully this will rub off on Theo and as time goes by he too will come when called after he's weaned.
Tonight's session was improving his leading. So far, he has only given me one step at a time so it was time to ask for a little bit more. He has gotten used to having the rope flipped over him and around his legs, without wanting to move off; so now it was time to use the rope to ask him to move forward when I use it with pressure. You might think that he would be confused, with me wanting him to stand still and accept the rope, and then wanting him to move off the pressure, but this smart little fellow had no trouble figuring it out. I place the rope around his rump leaving plenty of rope to lead with from the halter (I use a 12 ft. lead). First I ask from the halter and if he hesitates I add a little pull on the rump rope. It only took a couple of times for him to get the picture and lead nicely.
6 comments:
I still have my little halter and rope that you made for Tweed. We used it with Epona, too, doing the same things.
Love to see them come running. What a beautiful sight.
Way to go Theo and Shirley! He is a good boy!
how is tweed doing these days, Linda?
i wonder also how that other stallion who Shirley had is doing? He is a light blonder color and has a white streak down his nose. don't remember his name, sadly.
Also Rio! my goodness,, but he is one tall horse!!!!
Drifter!!! that's his name!!
Post a Comment