A few days ago, Theo and Velvet got their turnout with Gussie in the winter pen. Velvet has been asking to get out for a few days, and Theo was getting fairly independent in the foaling pen without mama getting too stressed, so it was time. I have been taking things a bit slower than usual with him; eg. halter training and leading, both of which I haven't really done yet. Partly because I need someone to halter Velvet while I work with him as she gets all agitated and herds him away or just gets between us. And partly because my good left arm isn't working very well for catching and holding him. Ted did help a couple of times and we petted him all over, picked up his feet, and even slipped the halter on him but didn't try to put any pressure on it, just let him wear it while we petted him. Once caught, he stands well with just an arm under his neck as we touch him. Until Velvet intervenes that is!
I didn't have my camera with me at their first turnout, but they all went ripping out into the field at full tilt- that little colt can flat out fly! Gussie was hot on their heels, excited to finally be together with them. Velvet quickly put her in her place. I kept Belle separate the first day, as she can't move fast enough to get away if needed.
He is really starting to fill out and look like something and not even 2 weeks old. He is so light on his feet, seems like he floats across the ground. I have sent away his DNA for registration and disease panel testing.
We got a spring snowstorm the last day of April and into today, May 1. I call it the winter-I-wonder-when- it is spring, storm. Enough already! It is turning into rain, so I guess that's a blessing as this province is already in wildfire season. Look like May is fixing to be wet and I hope the farmers can get all their field work done before we hit our true rainy season in June.


.jpg)
7 comments:
will he be jet black?
M- yes he will shed out straight black. Should look pretty flashy with those diagonal white socks!
have you given thought to keeping him, and as a stallion? he would sire magnificent foals
He is eye candy. ❤️ What an adorable little guy!
Theo is a handsome guy! Love that he is out exploring his world. Those little ones are stronger than one would expect, and strong willed. Nothing wrong with taking it slow.
After last years drought, we are also appreciating moisture this year.
What a nice little lope he has already.
He is a looker just like his Daddy. Hope you get some help working with him:)
Post a Comment