Saturday, August 2, 2025

Next step, the slicker

 We had a lovely session today. I started by going back to working on her back feet. She is still reluctant to hold the foot up and I'm not going to fight her about it (I would lose)  so I did more work on using the rope to get her lifting without kicking. It took a while but she finally rested her toe on the ground , left hind, so I went ahead and trimmed the heel flare and rasped it for balance. I wasn't able to do the toe, but I will take that as a win. Next time will be the right hind. 


I decided to work with the slicker without the saddle for starters, here are a couple videos of that. 



As you can see, it was another non event. 

Next, I worked on positioning her at the mounting step, she pretty much has that perfect. I can stand on it and bring her along side and get her to step one foot at a time for that sweet spot. Then I drape myself over her back where the saddle goes and rub her off side from her chest to her tail. I was able to get my feet off the step so all my weight was on her. 


I take my belt off for this so the buckle doesn't dig in her. I get my ribs right over to the off side of her spine mostly for my balance, I am quite tall and no lightweight. 

I think Rally looks forward to these sessions as much as I do. She comes to the gate to be caught, and when I turn her back in the herd she stays with me. 

This mare is building my confidence as much as I am building hers. If you would have told me this spring that I would be starting an unbroke 9 year old horse to ride I would have called you crazy. 

5 comments:

Linda said...

Her coming to the gate is all the evidence needed to prove you are doing it right. Bravo! Watching your videos even makes ME want to jump on her back and ride off. 🤣

You know, Leah was 9 when I started her. I’d done some work with her as a 2-3 year old, but hardly anything, then let her sit. There was something to be said for working with a more mature mind. She progressed quickly and was a very trustworthy trail horse. When you think about it, nine is still pretty young in the grand scheme of things.

Rally seems to be choosing you. That is very special.

Shirley said...

That's interesting about Leah. I didn't know she was 9 when you started riding her. I think Rally chose me from the get go! I have never really felt that in a horse before so yes it is rather special.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh nicely done! You are not crazy...I think you have a great connection with Rally and it is certainly worth exploring!! Easy does it!

aurora said...

I am lovin' watching your special bond grow!!

Val Ewing said...

This is so great. We started a young mule at 2 with just ground training and saddle training. We let her think about it until she was 4 and then worked with her again and it went so easily.
She got sidelined a lot as I rode others but when we got back together she was much older and now is my main ride at 28. Not much bothers her anymore.

I think this is a really good age to work with a horse!