Saturday, December 20, 2025

Well..... I did a thing....

 What's better than 2  old roan mares in the pasture? Well, 3 of course! 

I saw an ad for a mare that has the same sire as Gussie, so I checked her out. The price was right, her ad info was good, so I called and went to see her. She was less than a half hour away. 

She is 20 years old, was born a bay roan and has gone grey (her dam is grey, her sire a red roan) and she is confirmed in foal to an up and coming running bred stallion. She is a big mare like her sister Gussie, good bone, and black feet that need a trim ( imagine that...) She was standing quietly tied, and has a perfect swirl and a kind soft eye. 

So I did the sensible thing and bought her!

She will fit right in my little herd . 

Who dat?

First greeting


Velvet earned a squeal from the new mare

You can clearly see in the above photo just how big this mare is; she is a touch bigger than Gussie. 

One more visit with Gussie, and making sure she knows where the water tank is

Nice big soft eye and a bit of a dished face

Surveying her new abode



It may look sunny and nice but it was -28 C this morning. I waited until it came up to -18C to haul her the relatively short distance home. 



She is a nice calm easy to get along with mare. 


She hauled well, (yay) leads well, and so far, no drama. (Double yay). I will give her a few days separated from the other girls before letting them mingle. Still waiting on a report from AQHA on how many foals she has had; the folks I bought her from only had her for about a year so didn't know much of her history. Apparently she was broke in her younger years and used for roping. 
Also, they said she didn't have a name when they got her so they just called her after the dude they bought her from. So I will be pondering an appropriate name for her. 


The stallion she is bred to


20 comments:

KB said...

She is a nice looking mare. Have fun with her and stay warm!

Linda said...

Sounds like it was meant to be!

lytha said...

It's so weird to see a grey horse on your property: ) Have you ever had a grey? If not, I have tips for getting her tail white LOL. Also, Gussie's a Color-Changer!

Shirley said...

Yes I have had a grey before, my 1st show horse. Tail tips are welcome!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh she is a pretty old gal! She looks like a Silver to me. Have fun Shirley!

M said...

shirley, what does a dished face mean?

Shirley said...

You can see the dip in her face as compared to how straight Gussie's profile is.

lytha said...

If she's never had her tail washed in her life, it might not be possible to get it white. If that's the case I would cut off the lower, worst parts (gasp). Otherwise my secret recipe is Spray & Wash (laundry stain remover) on the lower part of the tail (not to touch the skin) using warm water and letting it soak up to an hour. Your hands will be very clean and well-aged after this (LOL). Rinse with warm water and use a whitening shampoo (Quik Silver if it's available in your country). This can touch the entire tail. Soak again for at least 20 minutes. RInse like an obsessed person, repeatedly with warm water. I use a lot of buckets (and have to keep pushing my animals away cuz they love drinking warm water). I just learned a new trick for getting the top of the tail well rinsed in Winter without a hose. I fill my indoor plant watering can with warm water and can aim a steady flow from it onto the top and underside of the tail. My plastic watering can has a long skinny neck with a very small opening that can be aimed precisely. I can also use the watering can to wash Mag's mane *without getting the other side of his neck wet*! Wish I would have known about this 20 years ago: )

Spray & Wash (or equivalent) is designed to remove organic stains like grass, I guess that's why it works so well.

GunDiva said...

What a lovely girl she is, though my heart is a little broken that at 20 years old she doesn't have a name (or at least a name that has been bothered to be passed on from owner to owner). I hope in the next couple of days, she'll let you know her name.

M said...

thanks!

M said...

yup. God always lets shirley know the name ❤️😊

Shirley said...

Thanks!

TeresaA said...

She has a lovely , kind eye. Congratulations!

4RRanch said...

What fun, a new mare and getting to wait for a new foal! Hope everything works out, she is big and pretty too.

aurora said...

Congrats on your new gal! I look forward to getting to know moree about her through your blog.

The Happy Whisk said...

She is very pretty. Hi. My name is Ivy and I'm new here. Found you on Val's page (Mulewings). The pictures with them meeting is so sweet. When I was a kid, I used to draw horses and just loved them. Cool to see you have three now. Cheers, Ivy.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Aw, she's beautiful! :-)

Val Ewing said...

When I was a kid I wanted a grey horse just like her. My uncle had one he let us ride, she was amazing and a show stopper of a horse. He could ride her without a bridle.

Of course, my Uncle trained cavalry horses in WWII and had such a way with equine. They did whatever he asked of them.

Shirley said...

Welcome! Always good to have new blog visitors!

Shirley said...

Back then there werent a lot of people riding without a bridle; I didn't see it until the late 90's . Your uncle must gave been a good hand.