Sunday, December 28, 2025

Winter's Beauty

 Even though we have to deal with finger numbing, ear freezing, bone chilling wind and cold, there is always something lovely to see. 


The sun rising low on the southern horizon, 8:49 am.  (Yes those are round bales in the back field)

The trees across the river aglow in the late sunrise . We often see deer over there.

Even cranky mares telling me I am too slow opening the gate to their fresh hay! 

We were down to -33 Celsius last night but a balmy -13 C now . Warmer temps coming but still sub zero. This too shall pass.....

Happy has adapted to the herd quite well. Gussie still chases her at morning feed time but they all hang out as a group during the day.  Velvet has buddied up with her.


Christmas day was sunny and cold. Velvet and Gussie were dozing alongside the big barn.


That is, until Velvet saw me coming and had to investigate. 



And headed to the shelter in case, just maybe, I would put extra hay out.... 


The mares are wintering well despite the cold. They have 24/7 hay as well as heated water. 


I did some checking on due dates, it looks like Happy is due around two weeks before Gussie. End of April to mid May should be busy for me! 

6 comments:

aurora said...

You captured the beauty well. Winter offers special light & photo opportunities. Stay warm!

Linda said...

It’s very beautiful at your place and your horses look great. You are going to have so much fun with those babies this spring!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Two foals!! I am excited for you...maybe two fillys!

The Happy Whisk said...

I love that her name is Happy. Great name. Stunning sky too.

Val Ewing said...

Winter looks beautiful there. I bet that snow is beautiful along with the sunshine. Lots of grey here so this cheered me up.

Shirley said...

It sparkles like diamonds in the sunshine