Driving to the cheese store the other day, Ted says, "there's a camel". Seriously, sez I, maybe it was alpaca?
We checked on the way back, laden down with our purchases of cheese curds, Havarti cheese, parmesan salami and cheddar pretzels, and sure enough - camels!!!!
We took the chance and drove into the farm, and spotted an old fellow puttering at his shop, introduced ourselves, and had a nice long chat with him. 80 yrs old, and full of interesting stories. He's the one who had the white buffalo and beefalo that I posted about some time ago.
Apparently he has had camels for quite some time, and raises them specifically for the dilute gene, same as he does with the buffalo. He does have pure white buffalo and recently acquired one he thinks is double dilute. He is known to movie producers in the US. He goes by the name Camel Al.
We got permission to take a few photos. The camels were quite content on their hay pile and didn't come to greet us




9 comments:
Not something you see every day! And cheese!
They make awesome cheese! Lots of different flavoured Gouda and smoked cheese
Oh they're cute!
They’re super cute. I have a neighbor friend who raised a camel. She is also a horsewoman. Camel Al sounds like someone who has lived an interesting life!
Wow!! Glad you took a chance on meeting Camel Al. What an interesting guy and story. Camels are desert animals, yet thrive in cold temps. They sure are hardy creatures. I wonder if any of his camels are rideable. I've ridden camels as a kid and adult in different zoo's. Nothing too exciting, sit up high and twirl in a circle.
I hope you get to revisit them at the upcoming event.
These camels look content for sure. The last one saying "cheese" directly towards you is too cute! Perhaps asking for some of your cheese curds :)
Camel Al sounds like a great guy! Hopefully you will get a chance to visit with him again:)
Cool Camels! We have several cheese factories not far from us. Cheese curds are fresh nearly every day in many of our stores and gas stations! Lucky us!
Camel Al sounds cool. White Buffalo. wow.
How fun, stopping and meeting Camel Al. "Driving to the cheese store," not something we have around here.
Wow! Camels! There are some off a highway here in Colorado, that if you know right where to look, you can see them, but I just never think of them as an animal that survives cold weather. Obviously, I'm wrong about that. LOL.
Post a Comment