It is a sunny Sunday.... O how needed is the sunshine!
We are in a warming trend, finally. But this morning it was -24 C. I looked out the window and saw one of the cats that was a kitten when we moved here. You may remember Smokey, and his sidekick Bandit ( who disappeared). Smokey is 4 yrs old now and is quite big now.
I felt so sorry for him, his whiskers were all frosted up.
The other male cats here beat him up and run him off so he is quite wary. I put some food out for him.
Meanwhile in the warmth and comfort of the house.....
Miss Minou was all snuggled upon her couch pillow. Barn cat no more! She leaves for her new home next weekend.
It was so nice out this afternoon, I went out to spend some time with the mares.
Happy is doing well, her foal is very active and I love watching it bumping around in there. I sure like that mare. If she does well this year and her melanoma doesn't get any larger, I will send her to Shayla after weaning where she can live out her days and as long as she is healthy will be bred to Shayla's stallion for 1 more foal. I think she deserves as much of a chance we can give her. Such a sweet mare.
As I walked back up the hill, my shadow walked with me.
Weird camera angle, the barn is not tilted!
Velvet loves to walk beside me wherever I go. She always has to inspect everything I do too. She is not pushy with me, politely lets me go first through the gate or around the corners- stops when I stop, walks when I walk . It is very endearing! Interestingly enough, she is the boss mare. One flick of the ear or toss of the head and Gussie gives way; but on the other hand she is the one who always welcomes the new mares in the herd and often eats out of the same pile with them, and Gussie never does.
That patch of bare skin on Velvet is from a bout of ringworm earlier this winter. It has been many years since I have had to deal with that. Our vet sold me a spray that worked really well. Fortunately it didn't spread to the other horses.
Linda did a wonderful post on getting back to our childhood joy with horses. Lets all go and rekindle that happiness that just being with horses gives us! I try to live that joy every day when I go out to do chores in this interminable winter we are having, and am so looking forward to spring and being able to do more things with them.





8 comments:
Thanks for the shoutout. You seem to always glow with a childlike love for horses…and cats! I can’t believe Smokey has survived so long. He looks pretty fat and healthy somehow. Minou is getting a definite upgrade and living the good life. She seems to like it.
So exciting about Happy’s foal. I sure hope she lives a long time. I’m not familiar with equine melanoma and its progression, but having a baby will probably make her very “happy” and that’s good medicine.
I am so looking forward to having some nicer weather as right now we are in a blizzard warning.
I think a neighbour was feeding Smokey. But lately he has been hanging out here so not sure what's going on there.
Hunker down and cuddle up with Charlie and Hannah! This too shall pass
Poor Smokey. Although it does look like he has been cared for. I wish our male cat didn't chase others away. They all need help with food & shelter. Minou is so pretty!
Sunshine makes everything better, as does enjoying horses carefree.
You have a sweet shadow. Velvet <3
Such frosty whiskers! Sure hope Spring comes soon for you and you can send it this way!
the husband has tons of things planned for spring, lol. so yes, it better come soon. but, this is alberta after all. winters are often very cold, very long.
Good to hear about the cats the barn looks cosmic happy you have some sunshine
Post a Comment