Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Tess working


Along with my quarter horses, I love my border collies. There is something about the way a dog lives in the moment, has unconditional devotion, and is always willing to please (as long as you are their pack leader!) I took them to work sheep yesterday, and was real happy to see that there was an improvement in both of them; Reba is getting steadier and not flopping from side to side as much; and I learned how to get Tess to work a little farther out when I send her on an outrun. It's a lot like working with horses; body position is everything, and timing is crucial. I'm very much a beginner at this, as are my dogs, and I am having a lot of fun learning. I intend to buy some sheep after we move, so that I can work the dogs regularly. I am indebted to the gentleman who is helping me to learn; thanks, Carl!

4 comments:

Michele said...

good work dogs!!

Callie said...

Cool, I have a border collie as well and I use him to round up the goats after a great goat caper. I cue him with words and it seems to all come so natural for him and he loves a job. Again one of the most loyal and loving dogs I've ever had. His other job is to watch the horses. At least he thinks so.

Janice said...

Callie's comment made me chuckle. My Border Collie Sage not only thinks it is her job to watch the horses but also that she should move them around. I have capitilized on that and use her quite a bit to get those horses where I want them or not want them.
She listens and does quite well considering neither of us really knows what we are doing. Oh well it sure keeps her happy.

Shirley said...

Callie, please tell us about the great goat caper! And what is your dog's name?