Sunday, May 4, 2008

A Sad Derby Day


The Kentucky Derby was an exciting and well run race, with the favourite, Big Brown, coming from the far outside post # 20 to win by over 4 lengths. But the second place horse, Eight Belles is the one who will be remembered the most for this race. She was the only filly who had the talent to run against the colts, and she literally ran the race of her life. Just after crossing the finish line in second place, she broke both front ankles and had to be euthanized on the track. How heartbreaking! Check Fran Jurga's Hoof Blog (link on my side bar) for more on this story.

6 comments:

Tom in Vegas said...

Shirley-

Remember when I told you I didn’t know the first thing about horses? Well, here is evidence to substantiate that claim.

Why are these poor horses euthanized when they break a bone? Hasn't science come along far enough to assist them in healing, or provide some kind of prosthetics? So what if they can race anymore. I don't think it's a justifiable reason to put the poor things to sleep.

Just wondering.

LA Nickers said...

This was indeed heartbreaking!

Blessings,
Linda
The Mane Point - on Blogspot

EIGHT BELLES COLLAPSES AFTER KENTUCKY DERBY, on AC

Shirley said...

Tom the reason they had to euthanize her is that she broke both front ankles. If it was only one, they may have been able to save her, but with both of them broken, she couldn't stand at all. She would have been very valuable as a brood mare, so you can be sure that they didn't make the decision lightly. It was a rare thing that she broke both ankles. If you ever get to watch a video of a horses legs when they are at full gallop, you could see the tremendous strain that the bones and ligaments are put under. A wrong step can be disaster, even on our own riding horses. It's something that we all live with as horse owners, but when it is on center stage with the Kentucky Derby,it is all the more sad, for so many people.

kdwhorses said...

A very sad day indeed. My heart was so heavy and still is. I think there should be a group that there sole purpose is too protect the horses. We believe that they are bred to have such small britle bones and they start training them way too young. There bones have not fully developed and matured.
**TOM-unfourntely to us it seems senseless. But that really was the only option since she did break both front. If it had been one that could have fixed it where she could have lest been a brood mare. Also alot of the people who own them, just think of them as a money pot. They do not look at the horse like we do.

Janice said...

kdwhorses is absoluteley correct. The Thouroughbred industry really needs to sit up and start looking at the stats. Now I can't say how many of these poor horses have broken their legs etc but I do know I have seen 2 of them do it...sorry I don't remember their names and that is 2 too many. These horses are started way to young and should not be expected to perform so strenuously at such a young age. I believe it is criminal and is no different than any other kind of animal abuse. I did not see this particular tragedy and the reason for that is because the last time I saw it happen it sickened me so much I no longer enjoy the sport so I don't watch it anymore. Well that's just my opinion.

Shirley said...

I too think that race horses are started too young. I'd like to see no races for 2 year olds, and races for 3 yr. olds start in the fall instead of the spring. Same for any show horse event; no classes for 2 yr. olds and fall classes for 3 yr. olds. It would take a lot of pressure off the horses while their legs are still developing.