Saturday, June 28, 2008

Horse of a Different Colour

Coyote Belle is now in her summer colour. This is the colour that I call black buckskin, you can see the yellow tinge on her sides. For comparison, the picture below, taken a May 15, is her "chocolate" phase.

Come fall, she turns a charcoal colour. I'd like to send her DNA to a research lab someday to find out what this colour really is. I don't think it is just brown; I've seen a lot of brown horses and they don't change as much as this. Belle's mama was the same colour, and I've identified 5 colour changes through the year. When she starts shedding in the spring, all her guard hair are yellow. Anyone out there have a horse of this colour?

7 comments:

Linda said...

My husband has a horse that goes from a dark brown in the winter to a buckskin in the summer. The AQHA made the breeder DNA verify him before they would register the colt and they call him a bay. He's NOT.

Tom in Vegas said...

"Anyone out there have a horse of this colour?"

I wish!

What a gorgeous horse she is. Say, don't they wag there tails to shoo-off pesky insects flying by?

Shirley said...

Tom, you make me giggle. Yes, they "wag" their tails to get rid of the flies- that try to land on them, and bite them. Sometimes the flies are so pesky that they gallop around the field to get rid of them, and rub up against shrubs and bushes to try to get rid of them.

Shirley said...

Linda, do you have any pictures of that horse on your blog? Buckskin is a dilute of bay, maybe AQHA figured he is not diluted enough. Coyote Belles sire is Durable Shine, a buckskin with a black overlay; he's very dark, but definitely a buckskin. I'd like to find out if Coyote Belle is a dilute.

kdwhorses said...

She is a beauty! Agree with Linda she's not a bay. Her coloring is just beautiful-so deep and rich!

Linda said...

I'll try and post a winter/summer picture next week. His mother is a true brown and out of a string of browns and his dad is a palamino.

Shirley said...

Thanks Linda; I'll keep checking your blog.