Monday, September 1, 2008

33 Truths about horses

This came in an email from my friend at Prairie Ridge:

1. People who don't take care of their own horses will be the first ones to tell you how to care for yours.
2. You should never buy a cheap girth!
3. A handsome horse who's badly behaved will become a lot less attractive in about 15 min.
4. People who think they have nothing more to learn about riding, hit the ground the hardest.
5. Children and ponies are natural allies and often have identical dispositions.
6. The richest horse people often look the poorest.
7. The closeness of a horse is one of the sweetest smells in the world.
8. A solitary ride through the bush is more beneficial then six months with the best psychiatrist. 9. The worse a person rides the more likely they are going to blame it on the horse.
10. The best thing about going to the barn first thing in the morning is that horses don't care how you look.
11. If a dealer insists a horse is worth twice what he's asking he's usually worth half that much. 12. The best way to appreciate how another person rides is to get on their horse.
13. I can recognize another horse person no matter what town, city, state, county or country I visit.
14. You can never have too many hoof picks.
15. It is not wise to argue with something that outweighs you by 1,000 pounds
16. I'd rather have a horse with a perfect mind then a perfect head.
17. Eight hours is not too long to be in the saddle!
18. If you think you have left the water on in the barn you have, if you think you have closed the pasture gate you haven't.
19. When someone asks you if you like their horse always say yes
20. The happiest people I know own horses, dogs, cats and at least one deranged goat.
21. If you're looking for the perfect horse you will never own one.
22. Owning a horse can either make a marriage or break it.
23. I'd rather lose my Chap Stick then my curb chain.
24. You shouldn't talk about your first place ribbon to someone that came second.
25. If someone says that horse has a little buck, it has a BIG buck.
26. If we need rain, schedule a show.
27. I've never warmed up to someone that didn't want to walk down to the stables.
28. A clean stable and a sparkling horse are among life's great pleasures.
29. Even given away horses can be too expensive. Especially give away horses.
30. No matter how badly behaved you are, your horse always gives you a second chance.
31. A more expensive horse doesn't make a better one.
32. I can't stand to have an empty stable.
33. Losing a horse can break your heart, but it will have been worth it.

14 comments:

Callie said...

I read this before and I love it!

Trapper Creek Daughter said...

Amen! So very true, and yet funny at the same time!

Janice said...

Where do all those hoof picks go anyhow? It's like those darn socks. i think I'm down to one hoof pick again. They just disappear........

Shirley said...

Mt favourite is #27

Linda said...

Good one!

kdwhorses said...

LOL! Too true! Another one I would add is no matter how good of a rider you are or how good you have done at a event, someone will always bad mouth your riding!! I figure they are just jealous! And we all know good horseman/woman have bad days! Normally we do when we are in front of people! Go figure!

Love the ey picture! Is it Beamer?

Trail rides-they do them such good!

Shirley said...

KDW, seems like everyone is a judge when you are competing! Yes, that is Beamer's eye, and as for trail rides, they are highly under-rated and one of the best training tools.

kdwhorses said...

The last one really gets me, because we have a old man (aka "Pesky") who is 26 years old and I dread the day something happens to him. I will have to post his story on the blog sometime. He is fully retired now and is living out the rest of his days grazing in our pasture! He has earned it! But you know I agree I wouldn't change a thing with them. If you love anything, when you lose it, it hurts. But they are such blessings to me everyday! I hope and pray that when the time comes for him, that he goes gracefully, just lay down and go to sleep.
Right after we married hubby had his old roping/pasture mare, the best we can figure she was around 35 years old. The last winter she was alive, she was just so poor and struggled no matter what I did, I told hubby that following summer that I was going to put her down I couldn't stand to see her go through another winter like that. Well, I didn't have too, one Sunday morning while we were at church she layed down and died. When we came home I stepped around to the pasture and checked the horses (I'm always checking and counting them) and didn't see her or hear her. She always nickered at you! I knew then something was wrong and went on through the gates and found her behind our burn pile. I immediatley checked to make sure she was gone. And then begin bawling like a baby. Savannah was about 2 1/2 years old at the time and she looked up at me and said "Momma way you sad? I told her why. And she said "I see her with Jesus, she isn't hurting anymore, you need to be happy." Well that did it, the crying really started then. She had only been in my life for about 1 1/2 half when she passed. She was a amazing little mare, such fun to ride bareback with a halter in the pasture. My question to people is How can you not love them with your whole heart? THey give there's too you every day!"
Sorry to take up so much space!

Shirley said...

KDW, you are welcome to all the space you want, and thanks for sharing that heartfelt story.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Hmmmmm...not sure which to call my favorite! There are so many truths here! RE #33~We have lost 2...and it hurts horribly! Both were young with great potential...tears..stil

Shirley said...

I lost Coyote Belle's dam just after weaning Belle; I was boarding her at a friend's place where there were 2 draft horses. One of them kicked Sundee and broke her front leg, completely severing the cannon bone. I called the vet out to euthanise her and stayed with her as she died. She was my favourite horse,and it was hard to lose her. In the last 6 years I've lost 6 horses- colic is the worst offender.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Colic is what we lost Hubby's favorite one to. Over Thanksgiving weekend...vet was out 4 times, we had TG dinner outside around a campfire in 3' of snow...taking turns walking him.
Tetnus is the cruelest! Lost one in AZ. Sellers were getting out of QH & retiring, said all were current on vaccinations..(don't EVER trust that!) She was gorgeous 2 yr old...had big plans for her. I cried a lot while the tetnus process took it's toll...I sat with her day and night! at times I got my hopes up, only to realize I was wrong... And cried with sad relief when the vet came to put her to rest.

Shirley said...

Losing a horse is as bad as losing a dog, they touch our lives and work their way into our hearts, and life seems just a little greyer without them.

dp said...

Number 20 made me LOL. We have two horses, 4 dogs, 2 cats and 3 deranged goats. I also like #16 -- give me a good mind over a pretty body any day (same with people).