Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Keepin' me busy

The dun fillies are settling in nicely, although they still take off at mach 3 with their hair on fire if I get too close to them. I may have to separate them and work with them one on one. Chickory shows a lot of curiosity, but she is the first to take off, which gets the other filly going. I may have to rope them to be able to touch them, so today I made their pen a little smaller so that when I do, they won't be able to get farther than the end of my rope. I may have to get a rope with a metal honda before I start. So they will have a few more days of just being free, because I am working so much this week I won't have time to go to the farm store. Plus, I just started work at the local cattle auction on Tuesdays, sale day. Yesterday was my first day there; they have me penning when they come out of the sale ring. I couldn't hear what prices were, but when I asked, they said they are down a little.
Looks like I am going to be really busy in the next while, with two jobs, two fillies to gentle, Gussie to ride, and a husband and two dogs who need their share of my attention! Oh well, they say no rest for the willing!

8 comments:

Janice said...

I haven't heard that expression before, I thought it was no rest for the wicked.

Trapper Creek Daughter said...

You definitely have your hands full!

Cows are the same way, if they one spooked or upset, then then they all get worked up.

good luck!

The W.O.W. factor! said...

They are cute little fillies! And your hands are full. I loved the "..even my shadow was sweating". I know what that looks like :)
(cattle prices here are down 30 cents from last yr this time...sad for the cattlemen)

Michele said...

how about inviting me up? i'll come and watch the dogs and ride the horses, and if your tired, i'll make supper for you:)

Michele said...

shirley, did mom ever learn how to ride a horse? just wondering if mom has ever rode one? :) did dad ride?

kdwhorses said...

Good luck with them! They sure are cute!

I hear ya about being busy! Oh my! Where do my days go??

Shirley said...

Marilena, I don't think mom ever rode; she is afraid of horses. Dad, however, grew up on a farm in southern Quebec, where everything was done by horses; he loved the draft horses. I think he got to ride them.

Michele said...

cool:) dad on a horse:)