As I had today off, I worked with the dun fillies again. I started with Chickory of the suspicious attitude. She is still wary, but let me work her at a distance of about 12 feet, when she could have stayed out at about 20 feet. I got it down to 8 ft. after a bit, and managed to touch her with the stick a few times, and even got her to accept it at her face. I quit the lesson when she sniffed the stick. I worked at keeping her a little more quiet today as the footing was muddy. I plan on making the pen a little smaller when I can get some help to move the panels in to round off the corners- I don't have a round pen nearby, so I will make one in their paddock. With a smaller area I'll be able to touch her more and desensitize her, hopefully it will help her get over her fear.
Working the red dun, who we are calling Andee, went really well; she made half-hearted attempts to stay away from me, but was much more interested in checking out her tub of Frisky Foal. Within minutes, she let me rub her on the butt with the stick, then I ran my hand down the stick till I could scratch her on the hips. After doing that 4 or 5 times, we called it a day. With her in the smaller pen I should be able to get a halter on her by the weekend. I have to work at the cattle auction tomorrow, so I hope to get the panels moved on Wednesday.
1 comment:
She's making good progress. Have fun at the auction!
Post a Comment