So the big boy is home now, but Shayla only gets to enjoy him for a few more days because she is going to Saskatchewan to learn barefoot trimming and will be gone 6 weeks. So Rio gets a nice long rest! After that it will be some light riding on some local trails. We took a tour of the hayfield today, I rode Beamer and it was nice to have the two boys out for a stroll being well behaved.
Rio learned to stride out over the last couple of months.
Everyone thought he had grown, but we measured and he's exactly the same- 15.1 and a quarter at the shoulder and 15.2 at the hip, so he still has to grow a bit in height and a long way to grow yet to fill out.
We checked out the cows on the way back, and then back at the yard I wanted a photo of the two of them together so we asked them to stand ground tied while we took photos. They were good boys!
Oh, hai, son, whose yer daddy!"
Posing pretty!
Meanwhile, I started halter work with Josie. Tuesday I built a catch pen from panels and got a halter on her in there- she was not too impressed and tried every evasion she could think of, but eventually gave me a couple of baby steps so that's where I quit. Then yesterday, I put both fillies in there and caught her again- pretty much just walked up to her and put it on, supervised of course by Stella.
"Here, let me lead! I'll show you how it's done!"
She was giving in both directions, so that's where we stopped. Then this evening I walked up to her in the bigger pen and put the halter on her, and used the grain bucket as an incentive for her to want to go where I was asking, but also asked her to step away and come to me, which she did. I'm pretty happy with how quickly she learns, she does have a bit of an independent streak but at the same time willing to learn. I should be able to take the catch pen down today and get her leading all over in the bigger pen. Gotta love those good minded Beamer babies!







12 comments:
it really says something for your breed - and your breeding - that these horses are so easy to work with.
Is it just me or is Rio as big as his dad? Great pics..:-))
Rio looks good! Bet he is glad to be home. Nice that the two boys are well behaved together.
Beamer babies rock:) Hug B
Ah, didn't catch it! He looks great. Do you think Beamer knows those are his kids?
Ed- Rio is much bigger than his dad- over 3 inches taller.
Sara- I think horses know, Beamer has seen his foals from the day they were born, and he may not know about Josie because she wasn't born here but he darn sure remembered Rio.
Beamer and Rio... two peas of the same pod! Beautiful!
They are all lookers...but more importantly ....I don't think Beamer has thrown one.... how to put this nicely....dud. All his foals no matter to what mare seem to have all of his attributes...now that's what you call a good!!!!!Breeding Program.
Rio looks good! As do all your ponies. Stella seemed to take weaning no problem? She looks great.
Rio and Beamer look great together! What hunky horseflesh! Comparing the two side by side was fun to see:)
Horse trail riding is full of fun and adventure. However, it can go bad quickly when you or your horse suffer injuries and other problems on the trail that could have been avoided with proper horse training.
Click Here
hey, i know you make halters, but do you also make reins?
your post about rio and beamer brought questions to my mind about western reins. i had to look up "slobber straps" to find out what they were. i suspected to add weight, and i think i was partially correct.
i am curious about rio's reins. what is the portion that doubles back to the saddle horn for?
i need some reins and i'm thinking about rope now because my biothane is too slippery, and my other set with those rubber pimple things disintegrates in warm weather onto your hands. since that has happened to me twice now, i'm done with rubber grippy reins.
as i was looking up answers to my questions about your reins online, i found a site (canadian?) of someone who makes rope reins with "markers" - and i think that looks really sharp, but i'd want a lot of markers and that woud be about $65 plus shipping, for just reins, which i think is too high.
before i look any further i want to be sure to ask you if you make such reins: http://ropehorsetack.weebly.com/reins-mecates-haltamores--markers-slobber-straps.html (my favorites are the black ones with the turquoise markers and stainless snaps).
i'll be in america soon and want to SHOP: ) my email addy is eli underscore barnett at hotmail.
Post a Comment