Weaning is actually going better than I expected. Mesa doesn't call out much at all, and Coulee only calls out when I take Beamer up to his grazing pen- she doesn't call out to Mesa at all. I think that it helps that Mesa can see mama even if she can't touch her, it looks like my ugly tarps are doing the trick.
Mesa gets along with all the others, even Belle, so she is quite comfortable and bonded within the little herd.
I noticed this morning that Rosalee has taken on the role of protector - she put the run on Pistol this morning when I was bringing them their hay.
In that photo you can see how I left an opening, untarped, for Mesa to see mama and that is the section of round bale feeder on mama's side of the panel to keep her from sidling up to the fence for nursing. As for Rosalee's tail- it still isn't growing out very quickly and she needed a fly swatter, so bale strings to the rescue!
1 comment:
Looks don't matter, whatever does the trick! For some reason, Rosalee's tale reminds me of Raggedy Ann. Must be the colors. I am sure she appreciates her hair extensions!
Post a Comment