Meanwhile, Mesa was calling out to her, and watching.
I've been working every day with the foals. Pistol is challenging because he is quite flighty and opinionated. Usually I have to catch him by sending him and Mama Belle into the stall. The other day I did some leading work using the butt rope- basically I take the end of my nice long lead rope and circle it around his butt, then walk beside him and ask him to go forward, then if he doesn't I put pressure on the butt rope. He was having hissy fits about me flipping the rope over his butt, so I spent some time flipping the rope on and off him, sacking him out with the rope until he just stood and let me do it- and then he led a lot better. It must have paid off, because this is how he led the next day:
Not only that, I was able - finally!- to catch him out in the pen without getting him in the stall. He did blow away from me on the first attempt, but then he ran to the fence and just stood quietly while I haltered him. Good boy! He is really coming along. He is a smart little fellow.
I am giving Mesa turnout time without her mama every day. I increase the time every day; yesterday she got a couple of hours with the herd. Coulee couldn't have cared less, but when I went down to put Mesa back with her mama she was hanging out at the fence waiting to go back in. No whinnying or pacing though, which is good.
I can't wait for her mane to lay down! These two do play a bit, but it is more just running around for a bit and then Pistol goes back and hangs out with his mama.
Look at that athletic move Pistol is doing in the background! He does a lot of fast stops and change of direction, really uses his hind end which speaks of his cutting breeding. Mesa just runs around looking pretty!
I did have to laugh at Pistol, I had just put some hay out and the mares came up to eat, while the foals stayed down in the pasture. Until Pistol started looking for his mama.
4 comments:
Sure are growing and some nice looking foals for sure. Pistol looks like a charecter lol I think you mighta gave him the perfect name
Fun seeing the little ones zoom around & interact together!
No wonder Mesa isn't too enthused about playing with him. He's a bitey, skittery littler critter right now. :D I love how Rosalee keeps as much of an eye on them as the mums do.
Fun to watch them play and to hear his call for his Mama:) Poor boy couldn't see her!!
Post a Comment