Wednesday, August 2, 2017

The kidz

I'm slowly letting Mesa and Pistol get used to each other. They already visit across the fence, and Pistol calls out to her a lot, I think he would love to play with her. I still won't just turn them all out together until Coulee leaves, but when I switch pens with them, I let the colts play together for a bit before I separate them; I either tie Coulee up or stick her in the foaling pen by herself.


He is almost as tall as her- she will be 3 months old on August 12, and he will be 1 month on August 7.



It's tough getting good photos of Mesa, She is either too close to me or she is just moseying around the pasture with her head down. She is really laid back in all this heat.


Pistol, on the other hand, is still at the age when all is new and so much fun being out in the big pen!


The active spurts are short lived though, as it is really too hot even for active foals. We have been in the 90's for a month now and no end in sight. By 9 am, I am ready to hide in my nice cool house.
But I did get NG on Beamer the other day, she had been recovering from a sore back (trampoline mishap) and was finally ready for another ride.

This time I had her ride him in his pen, which has a bit of a slope to it so she could get the feel of riding an incline. She did pretty good until Beamer wanted to just go in his shelter and she let him.... but we got that sorted out.  Day 28
I'm not counting the days I spend working with the foals as part of the horsemanship 100 day challenge.
I still can't catch Pistol out in the open- I am going to try again this morning as he needs a bum washing, seems like every 2nd day he needs to be washed. He is getting quite pesky when I am cleaning his pen, everything goes in the mouth, like buckets, and handles...



You can see from this video how quick he is when he decides to leave!

2 comments:

Christa R. said...

Mesa is just getting cuter and cuter as she grows!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Such pretty foals! What fun for you! :)