Thursday, November 9, 2017

It's time...

Weaning time that is. I have never had to wean this late in the year. But Pistol just turned 4 months old, and Belle needs to put some weight on for the winter so I got busy setting up the foaling pen for weaning. I opted to put Belle in there, as I think it will be better for Pistol if he has plenty of room to run and have both Mesa and Rosalee for company. I figured confining him with Mesa would end up with him getting a lickin' from her as she doesn't tolerate his antics any more. He already has an edema just below his right stifle, I am assuming from a kick from her.


I watched them for a while to make sure everything was ok, then found a spot that needed further baby-proofing. The place looks like a homeless shelter! 


Hopefully things will go smoothly, Pistol has become less of a mama's boy over the last month. I took him for a walk the other day and he did really well. Only needed a few minor corrections when he got in a hurry. Also took Mesa for a walk, and I have to brag on her, she was perfect! Led on a loose line, went wherever I took her with no hesitation including fairly close to working machinery. Of course, no camera that time. 

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Bean brain...made me laugh I hope he does well and calms down:)