Friday, March 23, 2018

Having fun

Having fun. It's what being a kid is all about.

But first, gotta earn the fun! I had them help me pick up garbage in the mare pasture, everything from strings to car parts are surfacing. Rosalee thought she should help too:

Thanks for the offer Rosalee but I'm pretty sure you can't push that wheelbarrow!

Apparently, Mesa thought she could help too.

Yeah no Mesa, pulling it doesn't work either!

And that's what they did on Thursday. I set up a simple obstacle course for them and they took turns riding Gussie through it a couple of times.

Riding straight through the lane


Turning a 360 in the box

Then we went down through the bush and up onto the dyke and back with them taking turns riding her. This was just what  they needed!


  

    

I rode a bit too, made them walk when we hit a snowy patch (adult privilege!)


 After they were done I worked on counter bend and same rein serpentines with her to free up her shoulders.
I love how Gussie took care of them, the only little hitch was on the way back when she was in sight of the other horses she wanted to hurry a bit, so I made her walk behind me and made sure Theresa rode with a loose rein.

Sending them around a group of trees
Riding day 18

5 comments:

Linda said...

That is awesome! Gussie appears to be a great addition to your herd. The ones that do good with the little kids are the ones I really respect. And I love doing obstacle work,too. It really pays off on the trail.

Kurious Kim said...

GREAT work Valerie, Theresa and Gussie! And kudos to you too Shirley for your patience and coaching :-). I remember you doing some of that with Natalie.

aurora said...

Fun! We used to love cleaning up the pasture with our horses, they were so curious and eager to help. Nice job all the way around on riding and coaching, really impressed with Gussie! Bet you are glad she is home.

Far Side of Fifty said...

How wonderful! The obstacle course was great, it looks like they had so much fun! Maybe add a few things for the next time they come a mailbox on a fence post...something with figure eights...just a couple of ideas for you. They are so lucky to have you for an aunt!! :)

IanH said...

My old horse, Biz, was a prankster. When the wheelbarrow was full, she would sneak up and tip it over. Got to shovel twice as many horse clumps that way!☺️