Tuesday, March 6, 2018

March madness

While everywhere else is getting hammered by spring storms, we had only about 6 inches of fluffy white stuff, and no wind, with temps right around freezing or warmer. As I left the house to go do chores, I could see hopeful faces peering at me....


As I was getting the hay loaded in the wheelbarrow, the fun began.... instigated as usual by Mesa.


Nice to see Gussie getting into the fun; I think her spirits are much improved now even if it is only that it is much warmer here than Alberta with it's -20 something daily winter temps that they got this year.
Mama Belle was having a blast too!


She had to show off some of her moves...


and even Rosalee got in on the action.


That one leap was about all she could muster though, her baby belly is getting pretty big! 2 months to go! She did try to warn Gussie off a couple of times by rushing the fence and trying to bite her butt, but Mama Belle put a stop to that by rushing at Rosalee with ears pinned (Don't mess with MY Gussie!). The herd dynamics are always interesting to watch. I am keeping Gussie and Rosalee separated as poor Rosalee has a few patches of hair missing from scrapping and I don't want Baby in the Belly getting kicked
.

Yes you Gussie, I know it was you!


Belle does keep Gussie in line too though. There is absolutely no doubt that she is the alpha mare.


Beamer was having as much fun as the mares. I let them all play for a while before I brought their feed to them, I had such a good time watching them that I was smiling for the rest of the morning.

7 comments:

IanH said...

Very nice photos and videos! Lucky you to still have horses🤗

lytha said...

You know that scene in Black Beauty where he is showing off for Ginger? It's Beamer! Did you know the horse they used was a QH?

Shirley said...

Lytha- I think I did read that somewhere. I'm not surprised! They do love to show off for their girls!

lytha said...

You simply must see this film, they honored the book perfectly, even though it was a QH (!!!) and his voice was Australian (!!!).

I recently showed it so Ani, who'd never seen it and I supplied us both a pack of tissues. It's from the 90s, it's available on Amazon prime. The horse acted exactly like Beamer.

Shirley said...

I think I saw it years ago, but I'd like to watch it again. I read the book as a child, it was heart wrenching.I think it is where my love for black horses started, and then of course I read all the Black Stallion books.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Fun :-D

Far Side of Fifty said...

Fun to see them all having fun. When I was growing up I read The Black Beauty book but on Saturday morning there was a horse called Fury that stole my heart:)