Friday, March 9, 2018

The dental work

Today was dentist day for Gussie. I loaded her up and drove the 5 minutes to the vets office, and when I unloaded her...


She had worked up a nervous sweat. She was on high alert too. (and yes, her left hind foot needs more work done on it)
The vet was busy so even though I was on time I had to wait at least another half hour for him- which I spent walking her around and trying to get her mind on me and relaxing. In doing so, I found several things that I need to work on with her as ground work. I need to get her to not come right into me when I change directions with her- she tends to drop her shoulder and come right in to me instead of holding her frame. That could be a side effect of her needing work on her hind end, but I think it's more a lack of focus and emotional turmoil. Then asking her to back.... she will back if I am right at her shoulder and put pressure on the halter while I walk backwards with her, but when I stand in front of her and walk into her and ask her to back, she just stands there; as well, when I try shaking the rope and stepping towards her with a verbal "back" she just stands there and ignores me. So I think this diva redhead has been allowed to pretty much do as she pleases over the last 4 years. That's about to change... (big grin)
Finally the vet came and started working on her.

I had not seen this type of speculum before; he uses a ratchet on that spiral screw to open and close it.


 He had to give her a second dose of happy juice. So what we found: the bottom back molar was ramped up quite high, and the corresponding top tooth was worn down in the shape of the bottom ramp. The left side was opposite; a hook on the top back molar and a corresponding worn spot on the bottom. As well lots of sharp edges. The teeth were pretty flat though, and the front incisors were in good shape and didn't need a touch up.
I'm curious about her nervousness in the trailer- I don't remember her being like that. I wonder if it's just because she has been thrust into a new situation and she needs to adjust? I will monitor it and see if she settles down and realizes that yes she will be coming back home.
Now- on with some serious riding!

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Well I am glad that is done. She will come around with your tender care bit by bit:)