Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Family and happy first day of spring

Saturday morning I headed up the lake to the Kootenay Lake Ferry to pick up 2 of my nieces (Beamer's Minions ) for spring break. Such a beautiful day and the lake was so pretty.


Of course, the horses were a main attraction for the girls, and they are getting lots of extra attention and brushing.


Beamer was quite happy to see them and he will visit with them at the gate; even if I bring his feed in he will still stay and visit instead of going for his food as he normally does.


And yes, the cats are getting extra loves too.
Gussie got the first call to duty, both girls rode in the round pen on a lead line and then I rode her, and the next day it was Beamer's turn.


I was really happy with Gussie for them. She doesn't go too fast, in fact she needs encouragement to speed up when they are on her, as we found out yesterday when they rode her in the bridle.



Beamer is definitely their favourite. He is so gentle and sweet with children.


Yesterday, I took Gussie and Mesa and the girls and we headed to the river. One rode while I led and on the way back they switched.


This one is my goddaughter, she is a happy go lucky kind of girl. Who always forgets to bring her coat.....


They enjoyed getting out for the walk, but I think the horses enjoyed it more. Mesa was interested in everything and so well behaved that I let the older niece lead her on the way back.


When we got back I rode Gussie for a bit, and then they each got a lesson in the bridle in the round pen. They both did really well, but I need to find more ways for them to have fun on horseback and not just have lessons. It's been so long since I've had to entertain kids that I am going to have to get creative! It's too early in the season for there to be any outdoor riding club activities. And I don't have an outdoor arena here. So maybe I will set up a mini trail course, using natural things like a log to cross, trees to ride between etc. Riding with a purpose! instead of just going round and round.


Since I rode each day also, that is riding day 15, 16 and 17.

4 comments:

Clare Knutson said...

When I was still young enough to go to horse camp, I had lots of fun labeling the parts of the horse. We would write down all the parts of the anatomy on blank stickers or sticky notes from a diagram, then find them on an actual horse and stick them on (obviously not the senstitive areas, of course!). Besides the riding, it was my favorite part of camp. It was a fun way to learn horse anatomy and how to move carefully and safely around a horse. Later when I became a camp counselor I loved teaching the little girls the parts of the horse in the same way. The horses enjoyed it too, because they got lavished with attention.

aurora said...

That mountain lake photo is gorgeous, wow what a view!! Lucky girls to have an aunt like you, and vice versa. How sweet of Beamer! I think it's so awesome how some horses just really love kids. I'm not sure we have one of those horses, altho ours have never been given much of a chance to find out. A trail course would be fun! Perhaps look up gymkhana or try some kid games but on horseback, safely of course. For example, red light green light comes to mind. Your nieces might be kinda young, but you could always modify to their level. Have fun with the girls!!

Linda said...

Obstacles are always fun! Natural ones are best. That Beamer is an amazing stallion. I love to see that. He’s a special guy!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a fantastic view of the lake and mountains it is prettier than I remember it! What fun to have the girls there and I bet they love it too! An obstacle course might be fun for them ,they could do a horse one and a dog one with Tay:)