Thursday, May 23, 2019

Pasture turnout and 320

I am finally able to get the mares on turnout. We have limited pasture here so I am doing rotational turnout. Gussie and Sparkle get one shift, then Sassy and Mama Belle and Elijah.
Yesterday was baby's first time out and he took full advantage of it to show that he's got wheels!



He is such a smooth moving colt.


Those cute li'l grunts!  This was his first time out in the white electric tape, and I was a little worried that he would run into it, so I kept waiting to see him touch it first so that he would respect it.


All went well until it was time to bring them in. I took Sassy first and then came back for Belle and Eli.....
Belle was having none of it.


Round and around they went! Eventually she stopped and let me catch her. I really don't want her teaching Eli this behaviour so I may have to approach things differently when it's time to bring them in.


We will figure it out!

Meanwhile..... Sassy is at day 320, which is acknowledged to be the amount of gestation needed for a viable foal, so we are at countdown time!


She is quite large now.


I'm so excited for this foal! If you haven't got a guess in on the foaling contest, enter up! The current guesses can be seen on my sidebar. Colour choices can be seen on this post. Leave me a comment with your guess!

3 comments:

Linda said...

So much baby action!! You’re living the dream. My “baby” keeps growing up! 😭

Far Side of Fifty said...

he is a mover! He discovered that fence! Fun to watch your videos! :)

lytha said...

Oh my, did you notice how in those last two photos, Eli and Belle had the exact same expressions? Ears, eyes, mouths, and noses, exactly?! Wow. It must be amazig to see a foal in real life mimic its mother. I have no foal experience at all. But Eli is the name I sign my name with. Lijah sounds like his superhero name. And rhymes with my online handle: )