A while ago I told you all to stay tuned for an update on Gussie and Belle.
Big Red and her BFF....
Mama Belle, are moving to Alberta to live with Shayla. If you recall, I said I had to make some changes this year, such as not breeding the mares back to Beamer. So, due to the combination of the economy and our reduced income, I decided to downscale my whole breeding operation. Shayla will be taking over the reins as the main person of Diamond Lazy H Quarter Horses from her home in Alberta. Jayne will be staying here for now and will be bred back to Beamer, while the plan for Belle is to breed her to Root Beers Boots , whose progeny are excelling in the barrel pen and in reining. Gussie will become one of her main riding horses and possibly a lesson horse and may be bred to a Driftwood stallion, probably next year.
The mares are kinda staying in the family which makes me happy. Belle's foal will be for sale. I will keep everyone updated on her foal! Shayla has orders to take lots of photos!
Also, as a part of the downscaling program, the hard decision was made to put Moondance on the market.
I will be quite picky where he goes, as I really love this colt. I really hope someone wants to take a chance at promoting him as a stallion. There are no intact sons of Beamer, and he sure is a worthy one.
My pens are going to seem empty. 😢 But age and finances dictate change, and I really feel that I am passing the torch rather than quitting.



10 comments:
Glad the mares will stay in the family, but I will sure miss Moondance. It has been a tremendous pleasure to watch as he grew and developed and as you trained him to be the best boy possible.
I'm sorry to see Moondance go, and I love that you're keeping the rest of the operation in the family. I'll look forward to frequent updates.
Tough decisions. Life is so damn hard. So sorry my friend...I am sure it eases your mind to pass your beloved girls onto Shayla. Moondance is a treasure, whomever will be getting a special horse. It would be great if he could remain intact, get shown and pass on those undeniable Beamer traits.
Wow that is lots of changes and news. I know Shayla will be a great spot for Gussie and Mama Belle...I am sorry to see Gussie go as you have enjoyed riding her very much. :(
But Gussie is your good trail horse - after so long looking for one, you found her, I mean, got her back again, I don't understand. I really need a Gussie in my life.
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this! I've loved following your journey over the years with new foals and training, and I've loved all Beamer's foals - Nitro, Rio, Moondance and others are so strikingly beautiful. You are a faithful blogger, and you've been very generous to share your horse life and personal life with us, as well as your awesome photos and videos. I hope you don't quit blogging, even though your horse adventures are ending. And I hope Shayla will blog about what she does with Diamond Lazy H horses going forward.
Having said that, you've got to do what you've got to do, and I'm sure this was a very hard decision. My heart goes out to you!
I thank you all for your kind comments ! I won't be completely out of horses- ever! Beamer is a lifer here, and I will have Jayne's foal to raise up as my next riding horse. The decision about Gussie I guess was a surprise to you all, but she will be much more useful to Shayla than just hanging around here for a few rides a year. Plus she will get to live out her life with her best friend Belle- those two really are inseparable and I did promise both of them to keep them together.
I have no intention of quitting blogging and as far as riding goes I have friends with extra horses for me to ride so I will still share all my adventures! It's just the breeding aspect of my horse life that I have had to step back from.
Well, at least you have a good option with Shayla taking over. Those days are coming to all of us at some point. Sigh...
I must admit your main mount Gussie leaving was the surprise that as a long time reader was hard to understand. However, you always seem at peace with your well thought out decisions. I admire your strength to do what is right for you & yours, and ability to look at the bright side. Looking forward to reading your future adventures & updates on all the horses we've also grown to love!!
I saw the other news on Facebook today, too. Wow. That was fast. I’m as surprised as everyone else, but I know you’re a woman who doesn’t make decisions lightly. You’ve developed Gussie into a rock solid trail horse, a real gift to her, and any future students she may usher into the love of horses. Shayla, I’m sure will keep that up. She’s an amazing horsewoman. And Moondance...I’m dying to hear where he’s going. So many changes. Makes me a bit melancholy.
Post a Comment