Thursday, December 23, 2021

Foiled plans

 Today was really mild, in fact it rained on top of the 6 inches of snow we got. So I figured when the rain stopped, I would ride Sophie. 

The sun came out and it was perfect! At least, I thought so. Apparently Sophie didn't agree. 


She played youcan'tcatchme for quite a while! 


In fact, long enough for a storm to roll in. By then I figured to just catch her, visit with her a bit and then turn her loose. 


Yeah that wasn't going to happen. 

Striding in perfect unison 


Jayne was very over it. Mostly she just stood still while Sophie played silly mare, but Sophie would come and get in behind her and make her move. 

Check out Jayne's baby belly!

Eventually I caught Jayne and put her in the foaling pen for the night so she could have some peace. And then fed Beamer , then Jayne... meanwhile Sophie was "Hey what about meeeeee?"

Hahaha. So I got her feed, left it outside the pen, and went in, again, with the halter. A little more resistance from her, then she went up by the gate which is a bit of a narrower area, and I blocked her escape route; she did a few cutting horse moves and then allowed as how I could catch her. (insert eyeroll!). I had her come with me while I got her hay in and put it in her shelter, then longed her a bit just because, before turning her loose. 

It is possible that Sophie sensed the storm coming in, but she has done this before in good weather, so I figure it's either a learned behaviour or a personality trait. So far it's the only thing I don't like about her, and I hope she gets over it. It may be beneficial to keep her separate all the time. 

2 comments:

aurora said...

Sorry your riding plans were foiled. Enjoy the snow, we don't have a single snowflake :(

Val Ewing said...

I had a mare that was so hard to catch. I found her secret one day by accident.
She liked pop tarts.
Any time I wanted to catch her quickly, I just brought pop tarts and rattled the foil. She came on the run then.

And you are right, most equine can figure out the weather before we can!