Monday, November 21, 2022

Critters

 There is always something interesting going on here with wildlife/ferals. 

The magpies and bluejays get excited when we put catfood out where they can steal it. I got some fun videos of them for all you folks who have never seen magpies. 



Feral cat update- there is one more half grown black cat. When I went to the "cat homeless shelter" to feed them, 4 cats scattered: Smokey and the Bandit, and Ringo the adult female Siamese and another black one that looks just like Mama Cat but smaller. It only went about 3 ft. away and stopped and hissed at me 😄

The deer continue to frequent our yard. Yesterday we had hunters come and ask permission to hunt, which we granted. They saw deer right away, about 150 yards out. 4 shots later they missed 😕. Humpfff. I could have made that shot! It didn't scare the deer away, judging from them being right outside our window twice today. 


The weather warmed up enough to take Beamer's blanket off. This is typical of Alberta- we get a lot of temperature swings even up to 20 degrees or more in the same day. 

The white in his eye is just the reflection of the snow

The evening light continues to delight, 


this time, featuring Velvet. She is such a grand old mare. She gets a hug from me every day. 

I am blessed. 


7 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Wow, your area is so beautiful.
Love that light on Velvet.
Deer Hunters, most of them are very careful, but I wonder how many practice their target shooting?


aurora said...

Deer can be entertaining, but also destructive. Our dogs seem to help distance them at our place. Lovin' all the picturesque horsey photos!

Linda said...

Our dogs chase off any deer, too. I haven’t seen one around here for a year or more.

What temperature do you blanket at? I just started blanketing Cowboy this year on the cold nights. I bought a 400 fill.

Shirley said...

Linda- It depends on the horse. Beamer has an old horse body now with not much flesh on his ribs. If the temps drop below -10 C (14F) for the night, I blanket him and if they are above that during the day I take it off. If the forecast calls for extended -10 or more he wears it all the time.
The mares will only get a blanket in a storm that is cold, wet and windy. They are in good flesh, even 22 year old Velvet. I will of course keep a close eye on her and if it looks like she is dropping weight she will get a blanket as well as extra feed.

Shirley said...

Val- the hunters here are respectful thank goodness. But yeah, I would think with two guys at least one of them could have made a decent shot- especially since the deer were bedded down and not moving.

Linda said...

Thanks. That’s what I am doing, too. Sounds like we have the same philosophy.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I can tell you are content to be settled. You shouldn't have a mouse problem with all the cats...so you have a Hisser...:)