Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Winter's beauty

 I woke up at 3 am to check and see if the eclipse was happening. Sure enough! I watched as it moved completely into the earth's shadow and all that was left was the red glow.. the blood moon. I went back to bed, 45 minutes later it was still red. I wasn't about to go out in -16 C  weather for photos. When I got up at 6:30 the temperature had dropped to -26 C. That's - 15 F . I took a photo of the setting moon from the warmth of my kitchen through the window!


A couple of bloggers got some nice eclipse photos so I am happy to see theirs. 

It was a clear and cold day. I bundled up good for chores. I checked on the feral cats; Mama cat stays in the "cat homeless shelter" as we call it. and one curls up in a tub of straw that I set up under an old trailer out of the snow. He's the Siamese cross we named Ringo. 

Waiting his turn in the grub line while Mama cat eats

I'm not sure where the grey kitten hangs out at night. I will try to figure it out by tracking. I took pity on our cats Thumper and Foose and moved them into the heated garage. They are getting old and aren't used to this kind of cold. We aren't allowed to have cats or dogs in the house but the garage is ok. 


The trees are rather spectacular with all their snow laden branches. I was thinking of Val over at Mulewings blog, another tree lover! 

One lonesome maple tree in a long row of spruce


I decided to get all the DNA work done on Ruby; her parentage verification  which needs to be done if she is ever bred,(mandatory) and her 5 panel disease test, which is voluntary but I always like to know what I am dealing with and it is just good management. So I caught her to pull hair to send away. 


Her cinch fungus is going away, I just need to brush the dried up scabs away and then when the weather is a little better I can ride. 😊 Of course, that could be a long ways away!


Shiny fat mares! They both had snarls in their manes that I sorted out. They were basking in the sun and Ruby's coat was just gleaming. I don't mind the cold when the sun shines and there is no wind!

7 comments:

Newsed6 said...

So glad all is well. -15 F! That is brutal. Great pictures and story, as always. Thank you for sharing!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Wow you have winter! The horses are real pretty in the snow!

aurora said...

Ohhh, snow is so pretty! Gorgeous trees. Love how horse colors pop against fresh snow. Have you ever tried snow shoes? Might be worthwhile if your area gets dumpers of snow. It is easier to walk on top of snow than punch through knee deep snow every single step, wearing just boots.

Looking forward to seeing more of your Winter Wonderland!

Shirley said...

Aurora- Yes I have snowshoed in the past. However, here we have the use of a big tractor to plow with, even my barnyard paths. I do have to shovel a couple of areas, but not much.

Shirley said...

Newsed6- Thanks!

Linda said...

-15, I won’t complain about our +14 this morning. The horses look fat and happy. It’s amazing how well they can tolerate the dry cold. Your place is really beautiful up there.

Val Ewing said...

Ahhh, those trees are to 'pine' for with their beautiful snow laden branches.