Monday, November 7, 2022

Manecicles and snowy romps

 This wintery blast continues here. We have about a foot of snow now and a little more to come over the next day or so. This has sure been a test for our winter preparedness! and we passed the test. 😁

The mares have all the hay they can eat, and salt in their shelter, and the automatic waterer is working great; access to nice warm water at will. And what do they do? Go for a gallop in the snow instead of hanging out in the shelter. 



Today their backs have a thick layer of snow to keep them insulated and they are hanging out in their pasture, quite content. 


Such hardy creatures! Even Velvet at age 22 doesn't need any extra attention, she is holding her weight really well and is usually the first one to visit me in the mornings and the first one to head back out to the pasture. Ruby too is doing great. I was wondering how she would do, not knowing her history, and they did have her blanketed when I went to try her out. 


But she is doing just fine! Haired up nicely and not minding this weather a bit. 

My criteria for blanketing is : Cold, Wet, Windy. If all 3 of those things happen at once, a horse can't stay warm unless they have some kind of shelter. In the wild, they can bunch up in a herd to shelter each other  or find trees or hollows to hang out in. 

That being said....

 I blanketed Beamer. He is a bit of a weather wimp! He shivers and shakes and waits for me to throw his Weatherbeeta blanket on him. Love that blanket. He may have to wear it all winter unless we get one of Alberta's famous chinooks. 

Aurora asked how Sophie is doing, Apparently she handled the long trip well (4 days I think) and her owner is pleased with her. He says she is the first one up to the gate for her grain or for neck rubs. That's good, because she can be a little stand offish. I think she likes men. I follow his page on Facebook (well Ted does!) so that I can keep in touch. If you want to check him out, it's Sylvain Lachance in Ontario. 

3 comments:

aurora said...

Good to hear Sophie did well with the travel & settling in nicely. I did not realize the haul was that long.

So glad you have auto water for the horses, especially with extended Wintery weather.

threecollie said...

I am dreading the arrival of winter here. Alas, it can't be long now. Love your posts!

Val Ewing said...

I love my fuzzy critters, they really do much of the same on cold windy mornings. I swear they prance, dance, and run in the section of the pasture where I can watch them from the kitchen. They like it better when I take their hay down into the woods out of the wind.