Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Deer spotting

 We had a lovely misty morning today. As I headed out to feed the ferals and then go to the barn, I spotted a doe just at the edge of the pasture. I had only gone a few steps when Ted banged on the window and yelled "Buck!" 

Sure enough, this is the season- where there's does there will be a buck hanging around. 


About a 75 yard shot....

He wasn't too concerned at first then off he went. 


Then this evening, I was feeding the mares, who were basking in the evening sun when they spotted movement and went on alert. 

Velvet has such cute little ears!

So me and Ruby walked out a ways to get a look at whatever they spotted.


I was kicking myself for not having my Nikon camera in hand! 


I actually got pretty close, just following the fenceline inside the mare pen. As you can see he was ok with me stalking him!

He's still out there in the dark, pawing and munching. Looks to be in pretty good shape. Nice long tines but not a lot of spread, probably about 4 or 5 years old. Hope he sticks around for another year when I get myself organized to do some hunting. 

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nice photos of your girls!

Val Ewing said...

I love spotting deer and I don't mind eating them either. Lucky for me I have folks who like to bring me venison once in a while.

What a beautiful place you live in. Love the photos!