Friday, February 27, 2026

Here we go again

 February just won't let go....




What do you think Gussie? Had enough yet?

Done with February, bring on March!

The mares, although they have plenty of shelter, choose to stand on the lee side of the barn during storms. 

Photo taken from the comfort of my dining room window


They are still well insulated though and seem to be handling this weather like good ole northern horses. Velvet is starting to show her age though with her topline dropping and not quite as much padding as she usually has. The old girl  (age 26) is still perfectly sound though. Gotta love that old time foundation breeding. 
Happy is starting to shed but still has dense fur. I haven't been brushing her, as I want her to keep as much of her coat as possible to keep her warm.

Those spots on her are not dirt, it is her bay roan coat showing through. 

I am so looking forward to her foal. The sire has Seattle Slew in his pedigree 4 generations back, through his son Louisiana Slew. That thoroughbred blood in there intrigues me!  

7 comments:

M said...

slew was my most favorite thoroughbred of all time. while i admired the greatest horse of all time, secretariat, slew was my fave. he had tude! your horses are magnificent! especially gussie ❤️

Linda said...

Epona has thoroughbred blood, too. Her grandfather was full thoroughbred to Bold Ruler, I believe. He looked like a quarter horse, though. He was absolutely gorgeous and really calm and smart. Our trainer acquired him in his 20’s, but stood him at stud for a few years, producing the stud she has now, which is an appy. My daughter wanted to breed Cowgirl to that original stud, but she was only 3 at the time. It’s funny how it worked out later when I took Tweed for his 2 year old training and we had Cowgirl accompany him for a tuneup and to give him a buddy. She ended up crossing her while she was there. I think she was 17, and kind of past her prime breeding age, but it took, and we got sweet Epona. We lost Cowgirl this year, so it is even more special to have her baby. It wouldn’t have happened if I hadn’t gotten Tumbleweed from you. The thoroughbred cross does seem to change their movement. Epona has always had great jumping abilities and enhanced foot and body awareness, overall athleticism.

Linda said...

Oh, and one thing winter is good for, beautiful photos!! Those are amazing.

Far Side of Fifty said...

The horses are well insulated!

Shirley said...

Coyote Belle had TB blood too through her dam. Belle was 12 5 %
There is a Fb page called The Western Thoroughbred that showcases TBs in western disciplines, as well as posts on stallions who contributed to the Quarter Horse bloodlines.
Very sad that you lost Cowgirl, she was a beauty.

Shirley said...

I thought you would like that!

Linda said...

Oh, that is very interesting. Coyote Belle was the best of the best.