Wednesday, June 3, 2026

Mission accomplished

 Yesterday, while his mama had her ration out in the pen instead of in the barn, Tuffy decided to stay in the barn. So I caught him in there and asked him for a few steps each direction. He was a bit uncertain because he couldn't see his mama, but trusted me enough that he complied.  I only gave it about a minute, that was enough. 

Today, I closed up the barn and while the mares had their breakfast, I walked up to Tuffy and caught him. 

No problem!

Leading was also no problem. 


Tuffy will be a month old on Monday. We will continue daily catching and short walks and start introducing him to thing that make him aware of where his feet are, like poles, and soon a tarp and the pallet platform.

Good boy, Tuffy! 

I am a good boy!

The rain has stopped; we got 3 and an eighth inches in a day and a half. Much needed! Some areas in southern Alberta got over 8 inches in that time frame. 
In other news, Dally came in heat and they started breeding her yesterday, June 2nd.  She should be ready to come home middle of next week. 


7 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

He is a smart boy! Your training with these foals is so important!

Firn said...

My Arab was the same color as Tuffy when he was born, also with four stockings and a blaze. Now he's snowy white!

Shirley said...

Its so cool how they change. Happy was bay roan and is now a flea bitten grey

aurora said...

Awesome photo of Tuffy in the barn entrance!! He already knows a lot for his age. Good job!

TeresaA said...

I do love how you raise foals.

Linda said...

That photo of him!! Wow!! You’re doing a wonderful job. If you get him over tarps and obstacles successfully that would be an amazing start.

Val Ewing said...

I do recall halter training sessions with my mules, they got so willing to follow a human anywhere.
Wonderful.