I think it is about 10 days into our short halter lessons. Over that span Tuffy did really well, building on each lesson without resistance; I think only twice he walked away from me when I went to catch him, but it was only a few steps. For the last week I have been able to walk up to him and halter him right away. He is a very smart and willing colt. There were a couple of days where I helped him understand to move his hip over by touching his hip while I brought his head around but by the third time he understood. Then we progressed to asking for 1 step forward, reverting to a sidweays step as needed. The next day I asked him to follow me forward, and he did, a bit hesitant at first. And then today.....
Success! Next will be catching and leading him when he's out in the foaling pen and not in the confines of the barn.
We have heavy rains right now so that may be a couple of days away yet, but I am sure happy with his progress, and his willingness.
Here are some photos from before the rain hit







5 comments:
If I could go back in time, I'd put my horse as a foal into a herd of mares only, and let him learn some rules, that he obviously missed in his mixed herd in Poland. I totally blame his mom on his odd studdy behavior. But I've got no experience with foals, so I have no idea. We're managing him lately with Chasteberry, it seems to have helped a bit.
Dang, he’s cute and smart!! His mamas will raise him right and make weaning easier.
You are making good progress with Tuffy. His looks & personality are great!! Love the Thumper photo. Happy is probably enjoying the peace and quiet lol.
Wow Tuffy is a looker! Smart boy too as I enjoyed the video!
You have such a good minded herd, they must bring you such joy.
Post a Comment