Monday, April 7, 2008

The Latest Craze

Have you noticed how popular bridleless reining is becoming? Thanks to Stacy Westfall, with her Freestyle Reining wins done bridleless and sometimes also bareback (you go, Stacy!) many trainers are now showcasing their talents with bridleless performances and demonstrations. I think it's absolutely wonderful! It sure proves that communication isn't all about the bigger, better bit in the horses mouth. I and some friends have trail ridden bridleless, but it pales in comparison to the thrill you'd get being able to do something like this. I hope to be able to order Stacy's training videos soon to find out more about what is involved in getting a horse (and myself) to this level. Even if I don't achieve the pinnacle of success at this by being able to enter a freestyle class, I am sure it will improve my horsemanship skills, and make my horse happy. I noticed in this video that Clinton's horse is in a beautiful, rounded frame; and Clinton looks as if he's using the same body language as if he was using reins.

Do you think that dressage riders will start doing bridleless Kurs? Or are they doing that already?



name="wmode" value="transparent">type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

(Double click on the image to go full screen)

6 comments:

Shirley said...

Sorry about all the extra HTML text; I can't seem to get rid of it. Any suggestions?

paramedicgirl said...

Yeah. Just repost it and try again. I can't figure out this bridle-less thing. They must have something attached to those reins!

Tom in Vegas said...

Wow! What a great and smart horse. Even a neophyte like me can appreciate the communication between rider and horse.

They really are benevolent creatures.

Shirley said...

Tom, there is a reining show coming to Las Vegas next weekend, the Spin Classic, on the 19th, at Horsemans Park. If you want to do something different, check it out!

Oldqueen44 said...

That is pretty awesome. When I was a kid we had a horse on our ranch you could do that with.

Jenna Blumer said...

I also love bridleless riding and liberty groundwork! Someday my goal is to show bridleless.