Friday, May 30, 2008

Peppy Makes Progress


Peppy is in kindergarten training. He is very willing to learn, and as you can see does quite well at standing tied. I like to do these lessons when they are really young; (he's 6 weeks old today).I find that working with youngsters is easier on them and easier on me. So I halter them in their first week, and gently teach them to lead, usually following mom so that it is natural for them. Then we progress to leading away from mom and then to standing tied. He did all this with very little fuss. I also handle their legs from day one.



I try to get them to pick up their foot instead of me pulling it up; and I want them to hold their foot up for a moment rather than me holding it up for them. Babies seem to be better with their back feet than the front.


Peppy was obliging with his fronts after a few minutes of evasion. I try to handle him (thanks, Wendy for your help in that department!) on a daily basis, and it pays off. He is easy to catch and halter, and I think he figures he's quite a star!

2 comments:

kdwhorses said...

Way to go Peppy! He is just a cutie! You can tell he thinks he is a star, just look at him! Good job on picking up and handling his foot, the farrier will think you later on down the road! Look at those little hooves and feet! Too cute!
And the rainbow picture is just gorgeous! Have a great weekend!

Michele said...

he really is a little star:)