Saturday, April 4, 2009

Sunday Stills- Animal Husbandry

There are many aspects of animal care, and everyone's unfavorite job is waste management- so this part of "husbandry" went to my husband!
And there is always a need for rodent control.....



and miss Marble does a mighty fine job of that! But my favorite part of animal husbandry is raising and selling good looking, good quality horses, like this mare; I sold her as a 4 year old. (her dam was a sister to Beamer)


and this one.....
Y'all haven't forgotten Peppy now have you?

24 comments:

Pony Girl said...

Great pictures! I noticed the cat was in almost all of them! ;) You really do raise a nice horse. They just shout quality. That mare has a beautiful face!

Ed said...

Very nice! I guess I should have called the challenge farm animals, I feel silly calling it husbandry since I had no idea what husbandry was...Oh Well, I've learned alot this week...:-)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Of course we haven't forgotten Peppy. What a dude!

Sherri said...

LOL I saw Ed's comment. I actually looked up the word in the online dictionary.

That said, I love these photos -- especially the cat on the barn door. Great shot and colors are fantastic.

Anonymous said...

WoW!! A cat on the horses back, they must really like each other.

MariesImages said...

Nice shots, love the horse shots....& the cat!

Silly, Sillier & Silliest said...

Sooo...what do you guys do with your muck? Do you spread it, bag it and trash it, what? We are constantly at a loss about what's the best thing to do...

Andrea Baker said...

Oh how adorable that the cat is taking a ride on the horse!

WhimsybyMari said...

Great pictures a beautiful cat I love Calicos I have always seemed to have one. Beautiful horses also.

VioletSky said...

Beautiful animals, funny how some cats just can't stay out of the action!

Lori Skoog said...

Nice photos....looked at you whole blog.

Shirley said...

Thanks, Pony Girl. I loved that mare, it was hard to part with her, which is why I kept her until age 4- I usually sell them at 1 or 2.
Dibear, the cat on Peppy's back is a tribute to his kind temperament. He really was a sweetie!
To the Tarpleys- we compost the manure, and depending on the situation it can then be spread on pastures, used in gardens, or sold.

Anonymous said...

I love the cat, we had one like that once that slept on one of our draft horses every night. It must have been warm up there:)

Flo said...

What great photos!!! Love the cat on the barn door.

CTG Ponies said...

I love that last one!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

hehe, The kitty in the pictures made me smile :)
And wow, what huge muscles that mare has. Bet she's one powereful gal!

~Lisa

Andrea said...

Great photos!! Love the beautiful cat! :)

Kelly said...

Love the cat and the barn door! Classic farm photo.

J9 said...

Is that a cat riding a horse? How cute! I also liked that you included your husband!

Esther Garvi said...

Your horses are really beautiful!! And your cats are so cool! Have you been able to keep in touch with the mare after you sold her?
We have two barb fillies over at Ishtar's ark but if the finances will allow it, I doubt strongly that we will be selling, which was the original intent. But they are just too precious!

Shirley said...

Ishtar- I know where the mare is but I don't know the lady I sold her to. They wanted to do reining or working cow horse with her, so maybe someday I'll see her at a show.

Unknown said...

Great photo of the cat in the barn- love the color. To bad you didn't know this weeks challenge, you could have saved it.

gtyyup said...

Excellent Shirley!! You've got quite the cat there...what a ham!

Jen Mo said...

Great shots! Always love horses!