Wednesday, July 4, 2012

At last!

We have a week of straight sunshine in the forecast! I know you folks in the States who are suffering from drought and fires and high temperatures are thinking "so what?" but here, we have had over a month of rain, the water levels are at a 50 year high; in the last week the level rose quite a bit. Remember my Sunday Stills photo of the road closure? When I took it, I couldn't see any water on the road behind it, then when I went over on Monday it looked like this:
The water level behind the dyke up the road from  has come way up too. But with the sunshine, I hope it starts receding, without any rain to feed it- but there is still snow to melt in the mountains, and there could be a big melt this week, which means more water.....
On the bright side, now the fields and pastures can dry out, which means that haying can finally begin, and that I can get the tractor in the pens to clean them. Yay! I hate dirty muddy pens.
Chickory is doing really well, I just need to get her muscles back in shape, she's not using her hind end well, not tracking up. Mrs. Mom recommended an exercise to strengthen her stifles, and it's time to put her back in light work in hand. I got proper medicine boots for her- a gift from my loving sister- so now she can soak in style- no more diapers and duct tape! Aren't they purty?
 I let her and Gussie out on pasture for 2-3 hours in the early afternoon, but they sure get pissy when the other horses go out in the morning.
Check out the watchers- Reba and the Raven. The Jenny Craig pen is paying off though, their weight looks much better. In this photo Chickory looks a little funny but that's because she was trying to get away from Gussie, who just bit her.
The anniversary roses are blooming now, this is the Abraham Darby, which is an English rose from the David Austin series. It smells heavenly!
I love it's apricot color, it looks like it should be in a Victorian setting. The Graham Thomas is only in bud, the rain really set them back.
To all my U.S. readers- have a great Independence Day, and stay safe!

6 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Glad you are getting the sun finally , we have had about 4 inches of rain over a couple days here, no exaggeration! it has just pelted down!

5 Starr's Farm said...

Wish you could ship all that extra rain down here. Love the color of you rose.

Michele said...

you're all welcome to have the constant rain in the lower mainland on westcoast here. we've had it almost non-stop for a month. since its a humid environment, it feels like a sauna. and your thirst can get pretty intense believe me.

those are pretty spiffin' shoes! :)
jenny craig pen? :D hee hee hee!!!

Michele said...

when i come for my summer visit, are you going to teach me how to clean the hoof, and brush and wash the horses?

Shirley said...

That will be the easy part- I'm going to remind you how to ride too!

Janice said...

Amen ....it's about time...now if the wind would just go the way of the rain we would be laughing.I think you did a nice job on Belle's feet. That Nitro is a going concern...he cracks me up.