Thursday, July 5, 2012

New digs and some flowers

Beamer got a different pasture this morning; this one is right next to Rio's pasture... which shares a fence with the mare pasture... which means that Beamer has a happy because he can see ALL his herd, all at once!
You can't see much of Nitro because he is laying down right next to mama
There is only an electric fence between him and Rio, but they both have a healthy respect for it- in fact Rio has tested every other type of fence and has the scars to prove it- so I know there won't be any shenanigans over the fence. Rio promptly showed proper submissive posture:
Beamer went for a little burst, but didn't really check out the whole pasture, he was content just to graze and keep an eye on his herd.
Those aren't birds in the background, those are flies buzzing around his head. On these hot days, I only have the horses out for about 3 hours, they'd rather stand in the shade of their shelter and eat hay, and it seems the flies don't bother them as much in there. 
The other anniversary rose finally bloomed, this is the Graham Thomas I bought for Ted- he loves yellow roses.
I like the way the buds have a pink tinge to them but open up a nice buttery yellow. This is an Old Fashioned Rose, it's a little hardier and should do well here. The blooms are smaller than the Abraham Darby. Speaking of flowers, someone gave me a bunch of Dahlia bulbs. I'd never grown them before and had no idea what to expect. Well....... they kind of took over my garden!
I had to set that fence panel in there to hold them back from crowding out the coreopsis, potentilla, and painted daisies, and that pink flower you see to the left of the fence is my Morden Blush rose- totally buried! I may have to move it to save it's life. I think I'll make a separate Dahlia bed next year, since I have to pull the bulbs out and store them for the winter. If these flowers are as nice  as I think they will be I just may have to enter one in the Fall Fair.

7 comments:

Nikker said...

It's amazing to me how Beamer respects the fences. I have NO stallion experience, but I've got mares who will try everything!!
We've got flies too... and these nasty little gnats...oh, the gnats! Grrr.... Trying Farnam One Spot (I think its called) hoping that it will keep the nasty little things off of my girls.

Crystal said...

And I love that yellow rose! I used to have dahlias that were a really pretty dark red color until I forgot to pull them up one winter and they all died :(

cdncowgirl said...

I can't wait to see the Dahlia's when they bloom, that should be pretty spectacular!

Susan said...

Your garden isn't as crowded as mine. It's due for some major changes.

5 Starr's Farm said...

Love your flower bed, beautiful. Rio looks great sure like his color.

John and Regina Zdravich said...

Not only can Beamer see his whole herd, but he has a fantastic view! it is GEORGEOUS where you live....

Far Side of Fifty said...

You are looking lush and green up there! Your roses are so pretty and those dahlias will be wonderful when they bloom:)