Saturday, July 21, 2012

We were the lucky ones

There was a really nasty storm here yesterday afternoon; a severe thunderstorm warning had been posted early in the morning, but by mid afternoon there was nothing so I headed to Bonner's Ferry to do some grocery shopping. Coming home, I was running just ahead of the storm and got home just as it was hitting. There was cloud -to -cloud and cloud-to-ground lightning, and really high winds; all out trees were bending again just like they did on Friday 2 weeks ago (what is it with Friday storms...) When all was done, our damage  was minimal, I took this photo this morning in the fog:
Along with some loose siding and a slam-dunked flower planter, and sideways dahlias and beebalm, we weathered the storm quite well. This is what it looked like as I was  approaching home just as it was hitting:
That's the pole shed where the  Ravens live, and our mobile behind it in the trees. Normally, that view looks more like this:
However, just as I  stepped out of the car, the power went out. That would be because there were a lot of power poles down across the valley from us, as well as a lot of trees down. One farm had it's hay shed (bigger than our pole shed) flattened and its shop pulverized. Power was out for 24 hours. I was worried about the freezer, so we were up at 5 AM getting the old generator running, good thing Ted is so handy with old machines, this one is ancient.
Meanwhile, I brought out the old hand grinder  for the coffee beans, and my stainless steel percolator, and we had coffee in style!
There were reports of damage for hundreds of miles, and when I say we were the lucky ones, it's because a boy was killed over at Grand Forks when a tree fell on the camper  he was in. I can't imagine the anguish of his parents.
The horses have their shelter behind the big shop so they were out of the worst of it, except Rio, his pen has the most southern exposure and this storm was mostly blowing south-southeast. But he's ok, just got a little wet. And cranky.
Anyway, the power is back on, supper is cooking, and all is well.

10 comments:

Cheyenne said...

I read about the young boy at Grand Forks, it broke my heart. It makes the crops that have been flattened, seem like nothing.

Dreaming said...

I'm glad you and your property are all OK. What a powerful storm.

allhorsestuff said...

Good, whew, what a relief that you were spared.

It certainly has been some weather summer all around. We've had several of those "Emergency Broadcast System" warnings too...sever wind hails and thunder lightening stuffs.
A few people have died here too, fires and damages.

We have had some relief for a week now from Thunder/lightening warnings -and HUMIDITY!

Like your emergency system for coffee!
KK

Anonymous said...

Glad you're all OK - that must have been scary!

Crystal said...

Pretty scary those storms, we havent had a bad one here in a while and I hope it stays that way.

Mary Ann said...

I'm glad you are safe, and your place, too. I'll say a prayer for the poor young boy and his family.

aurora said...

Glad things were not worse, and you enjoyed coffee in style!

Linda said...

I'm glad it didn't wreck things too bad for you. I keep a can of Tim Horton's ground coffee on hand for power outages even though I do have an old grinder.....can't be without my coffee.

I'm having a terrible time getting the comment box to come up on your blog....the post just won't stop "moving". I was wondering if anyone else was having problems?

Buttons Thoughts said...

I was so sad reading about that poor little boy I pray for his family.
I can see you are well prepared for anything which is a good thing, very clever coffee solution.
It is nice to meet you I look forward to getting to know you. B

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

yikes! Mother Nature is awesome. As is a good cup of coffee during a storm : )
- The Equestrian Vagabond