Friday, July 20, 2012

Flowers and the boys

For those who wanted to see the dahlias in bloom, here they are- so far, they are all dark red except for one that is magenta. There are still some buds that haven't opened, and I think they are going to be a lighter color.

My day lilies are looking pretty too, this one is peeking out from among the bleeding heart leaves.


Nitro is looking pretty too, he is about all shed out now, and is quite striking with all that white . His face is two-tone:

and he is still zoomin'!
I plan on doing the DNA test for color on him, I'm curious to what this color is technically.
The humidity here is through the roof, the horses are sweating just standing still. I hosed them all down yesterday and they all rolled and got lovely mud coats, but hey- it helps keep the bugs off them. I haven't introduced Nitro to hosing yet, but it might be on my to-do list for the weekend.
Rio is doing well, all his owies are healing and he is still growing.
He is sun-fading to a lovely golden brown.Once the weather cools off a bit, it will be time to start his ground work. I  think he'll be easy to work with. I'm really looking forward to the time he's old enough to ride!

9 comments:

luvmyhrs said...

I really like Nitro, he is a heck of a nice colt!

Shirley said...

Thanks Tara! It's wonderful when someone who has a pretty good breeding program of their own compliments me on my colts.

Paint Girl said...

I love the day lillies! I have been planting flowers and doing pots and hanging baskets. I never had time for that before, but now that I am home most the time, I love the flowers!
Nitro is drop dead gorgeous. Love everything about him. He is built to the max!!

Michele said...

amazing photos! the flowers are just beautiful! i love the two-toned on nitro! rio is a beauty like all your horses are :)

Crystal said...

Love those dahlias, that Magenta one kinda sticks out all by it self. Horses are lookin good. So humid here too, sure wish it would quit and become normal one day.

Dreaming said...

Your flowers are beautiful!
I love Nitro's head. It is so delicate and the white accents that.

aurora said...

Dahlias look great! Mine are doing lots of nothing this year, between getting them out late and the ultra hot dry weather...I'll have to buy new ones next year. Do you overwinter yours?

So fun to see your beautiful babies growing up!!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh you do have pretty flowers and your boys are beautiful. B

Anonymous said...

Really beautiful dahlias and the day lilies. Their color contrast makes them feel so rich and of course you have given the shots (and the flowers) nice treatment!

And handsome boy!