Saturday, September 22, 2012

Schooling Rio, continued

Who said there's no school on Saturdays? The first day of fall and a perfect day to get back to working Rio. The bot flies are here and we had to contend with one of them buzzing him while I was trying to work, but over all it was a good session. As always, we reviewed everything first, and I did a little more in-hand longeing this time because I wanted him to longe with the saddle on at the end of the session. He also got to wear boots for the first time.
Look at that perfect natural head carriage!
I raised the level of difficulty one notch with the tarp by putting a pole on it for him to step over.
....no problem...
 Then he got to wear the tarp fly sheet and this time he didn't mind it sliding down his rump. I flapped the sides vigorously; no problem.
Pretty relaxed!
We moved on to saddling. This time, when I threw the saddle up on him, he had just dropped his head for a bite of grass, and got a little surprised, and side stepped- the saddle fell on the ground, but he didn't get too concerned about that. I picked it up, dusted the blanket off and put it on and off three or four times, then led him around uncinched.
Then I pass the cinch under and run the latigo through without doing it up, and pull on it and lead him a few steps before I do it up, just in case he gets worried, but- I needn't have worried! he was fine so I cinched up and led him out. 
Around and around we went both ways, then it was time to ask for a few trotting steps. If he was going to blow, this would be the time. All he did was grab his tail a little and scoot to the end of the lead rope:
Just a few steps and he got used to the new feel , we did it both ways, and he probably scooted 3-4 times. Once he relaxed, we called it a day. Good boy, Rio! 
I'm not ready to turn him loose with the saddle on- it will be some time before I do that. Doesn't he look great under saddle?Once he's all grown up, he's going to be pretty spectacular- what still photos don't show is what nice movement he has. I'm saving my dollars up to send him to the trainers- I really want him shown. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've got a nice-minded colt there - but then you know that!

Buttons Thoughts said...

He sure does look good.

cheyenne jones said...

Beautiful!

Laura said...

Aww looks like he is doing really well, he is so cute too!

Mary said...

I have really enjoyed watching Rio grow up, I am so glad you decided to keep him. He is truly a beautiful little guy, temperament and all.

lisa said...

I think I will send my Sirocco up to you to train for me ;)

Montanagirl said...

He's so beautiful. Such a dream to work with!

Michele said...

shirley, have you ever been the first one to ride a horse who has never been ridden? don't they call it "breaking them in"?

Shirley said...

Yes, I have. Breaking is an older term, mostly we just call it training or schooling.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Looks great so far! What a nice minded good looking boy

Jenn said...

He's the perfect man! Handsome AND smart!